• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

do you ?

evinrude19

If I had the cash to spare I'd get a hand auger and/or a chisel for this early ice condition. Reasons:

1. You dont need 2hp to get thru that much ice

2. Its far lighter= greater mobility

3. Hand augers make a nice back-up any mid to late season when the gas auger breaks down

4. If you get into trouble early season where u need to drop gear and spare your life, its less of a loss

If I had the cash to spare I'd get a hand auger and/or a chisel for this early ice condition. Reasons:

1. You dont need 2hp to get thru that much ice

2. Its far lighter= greater mobility

3. Hand augers make a nice back-up any mid to late season when the gas auger breaks down

4. If you get into trouble early season where u need to drop gear and spare your life, its less of a loss

All true. If you fish alot in the early season(Before 8 inches) and have some spare money, spend it. grin

Used the power auger on 2" - 2 1/2" ice today in 16 FOW. Went through like butter grin Right afterwards, the screen on the Marcum was lit up with fish.

While it only took 2 seconds to cut the hole, I'll still use the power auger for any thickness. Just works for me.

I would definitely invest in a hand auger. If you cant spend too much get a 6 or 7" Strikemaster Mora otherwise get the Strikemaster Lazer for sure.. The Lazer will really slice through nicely but the Mora does the job for early ice as well.. I really like the weight of the hand augers as opposed to the power since you usually cant take a wheeler out at early ice its nice to cut back on whatever weight you can.

Ryan

Well I tried this concept last year, thought why drag the power auger around so I bought a hand auger, a mora, that went back to the store after one day out, swapped it out for a strikemaster lazer thinking it would be that much better. That ones gonna stay in the rafters this year. Power auger will be going through anything over 3". I can chisel a hole with three inches faster and less work than a hand auger. Anything over 3" is getting the power auger.

If you wanna cut down on weight then get a chisel. They easily go through 5 in. or less with minimal work and most decent hand augers will run you 50 plus while you can get chisels for 15 and up. Bring a file to keep the chisel sharp and it will do work!! Once theat gets to hard then its power auger time anyways, this has always worked for me and I have had days were I used the chisel ALOT its alot of work once the hole count rises but nice for early ice

If you got the extra cash, a hand auger is much more convienient for early ice. Much more mobile and you don't have all that extra weight. It only took me 9 seconds to cut through 6" of ice last year with my 6" stikemaster lazer. With 8+ inches though I don't even mess with the hand auger anymore. Then it's time to take out the Jiffy!

Ya know I was always a chisel guy, even with the Jiffy Mille Lacs style chisels making short work out of ice I just thought why bring the auger as it took about the same amount of time. Well as the years go by I notice after a day of hole hopping spread out across Upper Red Lake structure my shoulder is a bit tender. frown Guess it is sign of the times for me, I brought the Jiffy out to six inches of ice the other day for the first time and I am wondering why I didn't do that years ago.

I'd use the power auger, but keep your eye open for a Mora on the cheap -- garage sale or whatever. I've been offered two for free, actually, but I unfortunately only bit on one. Otherwise, I'd set the other out front here and send you my address. If there's anything in the world a guy doesn't need two of it's a Mora hand auger.

For years, I lugged the power auger out, regardless of 2 inches or 12. I couldn't get myself to spend $$ on a hand auger, but this year, after receiving permission from the boss, I bit the bullet and bought a Nils 6" hand auger. Just got it in the mail this week. I am jacked to get out. Maybe, if they are as good as everyone says, I will leave the heavy SM Lazer at home until we get some real ice.

A hand auger is all you need for early ice. It's amazing how fast they cut. I find myself laughing sometimes when I see other people on 4" of ice struggling to start up their power auger. While they trying to get it started, I've already drilled 10 holes and got a few fish in the pail!

I don't have a hand auger and don't want to spend the bucks for one, so I learned how to start my power auger. What I wonder about is the people that have a power auger and the blades are so dull that it takes five minutes with two people pushing down on the auger to get througe 16 inches of ice. I almost offered to drill some holes for a couple of young guys last winter and then decided that sharp blades are part of the learning curve.

I have both, but rarely use the "blue screw" any more.

Power auger- cuts a lot of holes until it runs out of gas,

Hand auger- cuts several holes until I run out of gas!

The hand auger does seem to spook the fish less, especially when fishing shallow water/first ice.

To save on weight bring a hand auger with, also bring the wife with to operate the hand auger. If your wife has a problem with her weight it is a win win situation for her to operate the device!

I just leave her at home and take my power auger less aggrivation that way

I'm a garage saling addict so I have three or four Mora augers in the rafters---unless the sons have liberated them. The most I paid for one was four dollars. The last one was marked at five and before I said a word, the woman running the sale had talked herself down to two bucks. Its good to have a backup system that is one-who-thinks-I-am-silly-proof.