• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tipup assistance

TiNK3R

Being really bored and nothing better to do than redo all of my jigs and tipups I was remembering my lack of success (only 1 flag the entire season) so I figured I would post a picture of my tipup in hopes that I'm doing something horribly wrong and I can fix it =)

These setups are for pike... although I might change one over to a walleye setup.

Typical tipup line (black braided) : 24" leader : pimple - I usually put a 3-5" sucker on.

Hope someone can point something out! Thank you!

tipup.jpg

I use 60-80 lb floro leaders for pike and musky all year long and have never had a bite off, infact they use floro for catching swordfish, baracuda and even sharks. Floro is wicked tough.

Another item you can look at is a premade quickstrike rig for your pike set up. Take a look at Big Tooth Tackle for some neat ideas on an old standard for quick strike rigs.

I would also strongly recommend looking into a quick strike rig.. I just started using them a few days ago and so far have caught a nice bass and 2 pike with a 100% hookup ratio.. If you dont know what im talking about do a google search on them and you will see plenty of them. they work great with sucker(which is what i have been using) and shiners. For walleyes I would do as other have said attach a floro leader and a plain hood with a splitshot.

Good Luck this season!

All kinds of jigs and hooks work good under tip-ups. I like to try smaller glow and different color jigs. For plain hooks one of my new favs is circle hooks which have increased my hook ups and makes unhooking fish alot easier. Take some getting used to but seem better once you get the method down. Just experiment with different things and see what works on different waters

I usually fish fatheads hooked through the back beneath the dorsal fin. My flags usually don't trip and on the rare occasion that they do, when I feel for the fish there's nobody home. I fish a medium spiltshot 12" or so up from the hook and the line is run thru the wire guide that is attached to the spool. I put mono backing on the spool, then Dacron line, then a lighter mono leader so they are close to full and spin nice and esy. Thanks.

Couple comments...

for Pike I totally agree with Johnny P. I have read his posts for awhile and switched to flurocrabon leaders for Pike. I have had only one time where I was biyt off -and that was my fault cause I had noticed a nice weak spot in the line after landing one fish - but I got lazy and didnt change out the leader - but they usually dont bite off and they lats a long time. i put a few red beads above the hook - and that seems to help too. For eyes - I agree with the above posters - I like the smaller colored hooks that daiichi makes...they come in packs with all the colors, red, lime green, orange and glow...those are awesome hooks and catch anything they touch. I also mark my depth with a small split shot. Place the split shot right by the metal clip type holder below the spool. That way you know each time where your depth is and they are easy to move up and down to change the depth of your bait - just pinch the split shot - move it and then pinch it back - and I also think it helps the fish to not feel any kind of resistance..after it trips the flag - the sinker will start to slowly fall with the line and the fish doesnt feel anything.