• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

chubby verses jigging rapala

robert1965

IMO if you want to gain confidence and improve your success with these types of lures, a flasher of some sort is critical (vex,marcum,hb, etc). It will save you the frustration of whether or not fish are there, and help you understand what type of lure action the fish are responding to.

You have to keep working at these lures before you gain a lot of confidence in them. Part of the fun for me with fishing is getting confidence with different types of lures/presentations. Gets boring doing the same thing all the time (probably for the fish too 8-)

last year the cubby darter save my butt because my lowrance gps went down the hole in 27 fow on mille lacs and the only way that we could get it was with a darter and have caught a lot of fish on them. so in my book they are the best all a round piece of tackle you could have grin

i had this very same ? to answer as these were the 2 baits of choice I had to chase walleyes with. I chose the jigging rapala and was that the right choice as I landed a PB 30".....needless to say I went out and bought a few more of those jigging rapalas.....I attached mine to a size 14 barrel swivel with a snap...i snapped it up and down then little jigs to make it flutter around.....Good Luck

i still havent cought a fish on my chubby darter!

I havent either. I have one in the box, and I have used it alot. I pull it out when fishing is good (low, eyes and saugers) and still nothing. Go back to the spoon or rap, back on fish.

I am not a fan of getting out done. So I give it time, just mabe not enough.

Caught a alomst 19in eye on the chubby the other night first of the year. Glow blue dace patern. The fish just came right up and nailed it without pliers would have never got it out. They work just take some learning on how to get fish to hit them not just come into them

I also have used both and would go with the Jiggin Rap any day. I fish on Oahe in SD and in a fair amount of current some days. The Rap is much heavier for its size and stays below the hole. The Chubby will drift out to the side of the hole and sometimes out of the cone angle of my Marcum. I always cut off the front and back hooks to keep it from getting caught on the bottom of the ice, put a larger treble hook on the bottom and tip with a minnow head. Walleyes love it!

The Chubby will drift out to the side of the hole and sometimes out of the cone angle of my Marcum.

When fishing in current areas, if you drill your ducer hole a little bit down current, you won't have as much of an issue with the lighter lures getting blown out of your cone.

TIP: If you elect to tip with a minnow head in current situations always tip the rear treble. So the Chubby rights itself and slips back into the cone of the transducer smother. If you do the bottom treble it increases the drag and pushes it back even further.

TIP: Another tip is use a tiny-tiny crappie minnow on a #5 or #6 on the rear treble whole hooked through the eyes. It will swim along and add that natural tail action and scent needed to convert fussy Chubby Lookers into Chubby Gobbling Hookers.

wink

I suck at both and usually do my best with either a JB Lures Varmit or a Northland Rattle spoon...both in perch color. I must not be doing something right with the jigging rap and by reading this thread it may be that I do not tip them with bait. I will give that a try. As far as a Chubby goes, when I do get hit it is inhaled to the back of the mouth. The walleyes slam it hard and about rip the rod out of my hand...unfortunately the bites are few and far between. It could be that when the eyes are active they wil hit anything and when they are less active my jigging spoons are easier to tease them into a bite. I have 8 Chubby's and they sure look nice in the tackle box...hopefully some of the tips being shared will help me put some scratches on their finish. Thanks for the pointers on both lures...I am always looking for something different to try and absolutely love the fact that there are so many people out here offering information.

I have caught fish on both but, of course the rap has put more fish on the ice as it has been out way longer than the chubby. the rap gets fish to come in and investagate. than just banging a criusing fish with a chubby. they both have a place in the tackle box.

Both very productive lures and have there points both good and bad.

I would say the Chubby will drawn fish in from a wider range as it is 3-D and casts a bigger fuller profile from any angle. So for that reason I would not pigeon hole it as a "Search Lure", it is more of a "Hog Caller".

Here...Piggy...Piggy...Piggy!!

Sooo...Weeeee!!!

cry