• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

chubby verses jigging rapala

robert1965

More fish overall (perch, crappie, sunnie) with Jiggin Rap, but then again, I'd say I catch more fish with the Northland Airplane Jig than jiggin rap (incl 'eyes). But on top of a pile of perch, gimme a small Chubby Darter over anything else any day!

I also catch way more fish on jigging raps. Most my fish on darters have been when it is the first thing down a hole, or when I'm getting lots of aggressive bites on other baits and I put one down just for kicks. Jigging raps bring fish in and get bites when nothing else is working. I run meat on jigging raps and shads all the time, this probably plays into my confidence on the body of water I fish.

I use both a lot and usually the jigging rap catches more fish. I catch more trophys on Chubbys though.

As a side note, does anyone else cut off the front hook on the raps? I find they catch on the bottom side of the hole and costs me fish.

Very good idea,Ive lost a few fish to that snagging front hook.On the chubby darter vs jigging rap there is no contest,jigging rap out produces for me all the time.The problem is,when its crunch time I trust the jigging rap more so I may not be giving the chubster an even shot.Something about that doesnt sound right whistle

They are 2 different class's of lures really.

A JR falls into the "Lead Sled" class of lures, and a Chubby is a vertical to horizontal slow falling wobbler class.

Lead sleds shoot to the side and pendulum to the center, no side to side wobble. Jigging shads lure body types offer a wider profile then a JR and a heavier sled.

I prefer the jigging shads when using this class of lure. Yet very often the thinner classic JR is what they want, so that is what I'll feed them.

It's all good.

I've never caught anything on the CD and only a few pike on the Rapalas. Caught a ton of fish on spoons and live bait. I have heard from others that they work on first ice and when the fish are aggressive.

i like to use whatever the fish are biting on at the time..depends on the mood of the fish and the action they are hitting that day.

using either lure i'd say people would catch more fish if they slowly kept pulling up on the lure and make the fish come up to hit it.

normally if you get excited and see a fish on your flasher and continue to jig it or drop it at or below their level they are gone...then you'd just blame it on the lure.

picked up 2 CD befor our last rip to red last yr. We had great luck with these. I originally picked up the largest I could find for ripping for northerns but ended up picking up alot of eyes and no pike. Cant wait to hit the ice this yr and try them in the metro waters.

There is an other bait that you might want to try by HALI, AATTU. They make a balance jig similar to rap but they have better colors and glow treble hooks on them. Size 2 1/4" is my fav. works for big perch and crappies at night.

I just picked up two Chubby Darters at Sportsman's Warehouse. Redtail shiner and Real perch #3 for an experiment with crappies. I tend to fish crystal clear water and felt that the glow lures may be too flambouyant. Both Scheel's and Gander Mountain had very little selection. I will post my experience with these patterns in the near future.