Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
upnorth

Unbelievable!!

22 posts in this topic

What exactly is wrong with people? mad Are a few bargains worth a human life?

Quote:
NEW YORK — A Wal-Mart worker was killed today after an “out of control” throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains broke down the doors at a suburban store and knocked him to the ground, police said.

At least four other people, including a woman eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.

Nassau police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the store doors at the mall about 20 miles east of Manhattan. The impatient crowd knocked the man to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

“This crowd was out of control,” said Nassau police spokesman Lt. Michael Fleming. He described the scene as “utter chaos.”

Dozens of store employees trying to fight their way out to help the man were also getting trampled by the crowd, Fleming said. Witnesses said that even as the worker lay on the ground, shoppers streamed into the store, stepping over him.

Kimberly Cribbs, who witnessed the stampede, said shoppers were acting like “savages.”

“When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling ’I’ve been on line since yesterday morning,”’ she said. “They kept shopping.”

The 34-year-old man was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., police said. The exact cause of death has not been determined, and the man’s name was not released.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital, where she and the baby were reported to be OK, said police Sgt. Anthony Repalone. At least three other people were taken to hospitals with minor injuries.

Police said criminal charges were possible in the case, but Fleming said it would be difficult to identify individual shoppers. Authorities were reviewing surveillance video.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a “tragic situation” and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

“The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority,” said Dan Fogleman, a company spokesman. “At this point, facts are still being assembled and we are working closely with the Nassau County Police as they investigate what occurred.”

Shoppers around the country line up early outside stores on the day after Thanksgiving in the annual bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday. It got that name because it has historically been the day when stores broke into profitability for the full year

All the news about Black Friday and the bargains must get all the people hyped up and no common sense. I sympathize with the families of the dead man and injured people. Better to be in a small town and shop online for the same deals.

Yea, it's a little rediculous. I was at wallyworld this morning for a TV and got pushed and shoved a lot. Luckily I'm a good sized dude and couple of dirty looks over my shoulder and push back stopped. No reason to act like Hyeena's at a left over carcuss. Sorry to hear about this guy, it's uncalled for.

It made the news at 10. That just crazy. Some people must truly be out of their minds. So much for civility.

Being in business, we see it every day. I said it before and will continue to say it........People are plainly just cheap arse's. ANYTHING for a deal. Instead of limiting their shopping, they will do whatever it takes to get more for less. Really pathetic.

You could not pay me to join the one-who-thinks-I-am-silly parade that is Black Friday.

i'm with you big tom...i think its a bunch of morons running around like chickens with thier heads cut off.

i'd rather spend the extra few bucks then deal with the crowds anyday.

I feel the stores incite this mob mentality to get people to rush in for the best deals.

Too often I've read the sale ads only to find that after the shelves are restocked after Black Friday, the prices are lower yet.

I think Walmart should be liable. This happens every year and its all in the name of the mighty buck. Greed takes over. Yea its free enterprise and its the dumb following the stupid and all but should this be stopped? Its free entertainment for us on the side lines but its not funny anymore when someone gets hurt or killed.

I am going to agree with publicity inciting a feeding frenzy for shopping, but you can't blame Walmart for the absolute lack humanity in those people that trampled that guy. Last I heard they were going to try to use a surveillance video to try to pick people out for prosecution. There were some that actually pushed emergency people aside while they were trying to work on the guy mad I am still here wondering what the heck makes these fools tick confused Can a deal on a Wii(or anything else) be that big of a thing? Trample someone to save a few $$$.

i'm with you big tom...i think its a bunch of morons running around like chickens with thier heads cut off.

i'd rather spend the extra few bucks then deal with the crowds anyday.

same here! it sure as he!! aint worth gettin killed over.....my g/f went to best buy to try and snag an ipod that was advertised for $150 turns out the store only had 8 on hand! what a joke!

Wasn't the plastic part of the cause for this recession?

Reading a story like this really gets me to questioning where we are heading. It's sad, ironic, disappointing, disgusting, awe inspiring, amazing, and ridiculous all at the same time.

Sheesh!

Bob

These are the same people that will be looking for a handout, bailout, etc when they run their credit cards up and max them out and look for a Chapter 7 or 13 to get a financial do over from the government. But they still get to keep their Wii right?

Only in America, boys!

Windy

These are the same people that will be looking for a handout, bailout, etc when they run their credit cards up and max them out and look for a Chapter 7 or 13 to get a financial do over from the government. But they still get to keep their Wii right?

Only in America, boys!

Windy

Yep. We should expect to hear about this bailout during Q1 of 09. And yes, I am sure everyone will be able to keep the "needed" items they bought. Just sad.

And don't you love America? laugh quit complaining about it!

Deal aren't that good anyways....better deals on Craigs

*shrug*, I started my first retail job on black friday. Before that time, I never knew about blck friday. Simply...amazing. Highly motivated people.

Highly insane people. I have always made a point to stay as far away from any major shopping areas as I can on Black Friday. I hate dealing with the crowds and madness. Thats all Black Friday really is.

That's why I headed as far from those crowds I could possible get...... Red Lake, and caught some walleyes.

Much better deal any day.

That's why I headed as far from those crowds I could possible get...... Red Lake, and caught some walleyes.

Much better deal any day.

smart man! ^_^