• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making Bucktails

MUSKY18

Thinking about trying to make a few of my own bucktails over the LONG winter, was wondering for those of you who make your own bucktails, what are all the needed materials. Thinking of making some double 10's. I think I can most everything i need from Rollie & Helen's or Throne Bros. Any thoughts/ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

hi bret,

there's a thread in the rod makeing and lure building forum called ''bucktails beginners 101'' written by, yours truly, grin b1gf1sh1, that covers a few things. any questions just ask and i'll answer if i can. i'll be swatting the fishing bug till spring so i'll have time. cry

Fish:

Read your post and it was very helpful! Only question(s) that I have are these:

How do you know what size lure body is the right size weight? I was think 1/2 since I am going to build some double tens

and

If I am going to use .051 wire for my bucktails, what is the right size of bead to get?

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
How do you know what size lure body is the right size weight? I was think 1/2 since I am going to build some double tens and If I am going to use .051 wire for my bucktails, what is the right size of bead to get?

lol. ahem.... in general different fishing conditions, styles, and nessessity require different bucktail construction. wanna go deep? then you better give it some weight to keep it down. wanna burn/bulge? better lighten it up a bit. want to slow roll? try and even the bait out a little front and back. not exact but close, and a little more in back. shorter is better for slow rolling/bulgeing too, IMO. casting into the wind but don't want to go too deep? tie a sparse tight tail for less wind resistance (bucher tail). there's so many different scenarios it would be impossible to cover it all.

as far as components. basicly you want to adjust your construction to the conditions you will normally face. hollow beads sound nice and are light. they don't hold up like solid beads but who cares, just redo it. bead to wire? i like mine a little loose on the wire. gives it a unique sound i think. my advice is just match your beads and other components to other baits untill you get the hang of it. that's what i did, and do with new one's that come out. i study them and go home and copy it. don't forget the weight in the rear of your baits. egg sinkers are common. also thorne brothers has got keel weights on coils and regular weighted coils. they are only 1/2 ounce i think so you may need to add a little anyway. or tie two coils to have an ounce. hooks weigh something too. buy a cheap digital postal scale at an office supply store like i did for 30 bucks that weighs grams/ounces so you know how much is going where and eventually you will get it down pat. good luck.

Well my dad just fetched my old fly making kit from the cabin. I do have quite a bit of stuff, except for flashabou and marabou (there's enough marabou left for maybe a half of a treble). Plenty of deertail left, thread, and cement plus the vice and bobbin and springs and such. I'll probably get the rest of the gear for my birthday on Friday. If nothing else I can probably make a "dogtail". There's plenty of dog hair to go around. Plus Mistee's is colored almost identical to a natural deer tail.

i feel bad for you if you go spend even 1 more dollar on this. i really do. grin ............it never ends. but maybe you'll have more self-control than me and stop after you make 250 just for yourself. cry

it is amazing how many combinations there really are. everywhere i looked there was a new one to do. DON'T spend any more money, you'll regret it... sort of..... there... i warned you and now i can sleep tonight sleep