• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best trail camera?

Jeff S

I paid $69.00(works good) for mine..so i thought, now add 2 sd cards, one in the camera and one to swap when i check the camera, $25.00. add in the $50 battery so i don't go broke replacing batteries in the unit every three days and finally the $150 card viewer to see all the does and fawns it took pictures of.

I have a Moultree, the $229.00 camo pattern infrared. I read tons of reader reviews and it seemed to have the lowest amount of complaints. I put mine out for the first time Sept.10th and have pretty much had it out ever since and still had 67 % battery life as I put it back out yesterday. So 1 set of batteries is going to last the whole velvet free antler season. My father in law likes his Cuddeback, although I'd prefer 2 Moultree's for 1 Cuddeback, my pictures have been excellent quality. My only wonder is when my LED panel lights up red in the dark the deer sure seem to take notice,most of the deer are staring right at it, not sure if it affects them at all, had 17 different bucks on it for my first year I sure was surprised. Coons,skunks,cats,pine martin,turkey's.

Right on Quack addict, the deer sure seemed to look at that red panel of lights, seemed like they all knew something was there that maybe shouldn't be or could they smell something from it, the mature bucks all zoned in on it and the immature ones didn't seem to care as much. Had a friend who said now you have an unfair advantage, I asked how is that, he said well you can pattern them, if that was the case I should've been hunting between midnight and 6 AM. If anything it was a little frustrating to see them on film, then not see 1 out of 12 come rifle season. Couple hours after dark there they were on the camera again. Told my buddy I have sat the same stand since 1983 and trail cam or not, you know I'd be sitting there anyway and there is always multiple mature bucks in the area I hunt. I'm not sure a T-cam in my area can help, pressured nocturnal deer. I use mine for fun, I think the argument is like ford,dodge,chevy, I say read reviews, go with your gut, keep your receipt and hope for the best. I read on Cabela's HSOforum the customer reviews and made my choice on a Moultree and so far so good.

Quote:
Had a friend who said now you have an unfair advantage, I asked how is that, he said well you can pattern them, if that was the case I should've been hunting between midnight and 6 AM.

Yeah right, no advantage if they're moving at night... if the bucks/deer were moving during daylight hours at a specific time ocassionally, then you will have a better advantage compared to most night movement shots! Getting pics of deer are fun and you know what is around and helps you with what buck you will/want to shoot at and who doesn't want pictures of big bucks on their trail cams!

My Moultree was so simple to use and seems to work very well, ended up with 17 different bucks on it, 12 in Ottertail County and 5 Wadena county, I hunt 2 areas. Figure out what you want to spend, do your homework on one, and go for it. Lots of good ones on the market, getting a little scary though, my friend is working on a wireless camera that you can watch/record on the internet from anywhere you have internet access. My friend works for Lakes Area Internet in Perham. I'd only want that to keep trespassers off because they would just destroy your camera if they knew they'd been caught.

I second the Moultrie I4.0 its been in the woods sinc August and I finally had to replace the batteries even when they were still at 40%. Hands down a great camera and I might even invest in the 4.0 flash for specific trails that I have to get images of.

mr

Has anyone ever used/heard of Stealth Cam brand? its for sale 75% off at a sporting goods store ( i guess it reseambles a bad word so it got cut out when i posted) origanlly $80 now $20. must be kinda cheap but just wanted to know if anyone used it before.

dustin

DSpohn,

35mm falls short in one main area. You are limited to the roll of film. You can end up with a LOT of pics on a roll of film that are nothing. And once the roll is used up, you are done. At least with digital, you can salvage some pics because the memory cards can hold hundreds of pics.

Pic quality isnt so bad. There are digitals that are flat out poor quality.

I started with cams like that one, so I am not saying they are all bad, but digitals have come down so much, its not worth your time for 35mm cams.

well i ended up buying it, i have a 4 yr warranty on it so ill try it out,devolpe the film and see what i get, if its not so good ill probably return it and save up for a better one. i just could resist getting any trail cam for $20.

I have 4 35mm stealcams I threw in a box that I couldn't give away this year. I plan to list them on [YouNeedAuthorization]. They usually bring around 5 or 10 used on [YouNeedAuthorization].

Boy they sure have this site commercialized. I guess it's all about money on here. I'm surprised you can mention trail cam names without getting blipped. I'll try it this way E b a y.