• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jumping smoke lighter to smoke lighter

What they dont tell you is that it is made to charge the battery on the dead vehicle, not "jump start" it in the conventional way. Dont expect it to work in a hurry. I've never tried one on a car but I have on an ATV and it worked in about 10-15 minutes, but they require a great deal less to crank than a car. I'm sure it would take quite a bit longer on a car, but its at least a small step above nothing.

Paul Brand says:

There is no way any 12-volt accessory/cigarette outlet in an automobile can safely carry the necessary amperage to start a car with a dead battery. With that said, it would be possible to use a cable set like you've described to recharge the dead battery. Considering that most 12-volt accessory outlets in automobiles are protected by 15- to 30-amp fuses, it likely would take a significant period of time to recharge the dead battery enough to start the engine.

I heard Paul talk about that on sunday as well. It would literally take hours to charge the battery enough to get the dead vehicle started. A starter on a could vehicle can draw 100 to 200 amps. I don't think 18/20 gauge wire and a 30 amp fuse would last to long under those conditions!!!

Ya, I would use it as a last resort. I have seen one with the battery pack to lighter in action. Slow action would be the best way to describe it. I would rather get a real booster pack or jumper cables.