Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Finlander

Tom Tom or simial GPS product for fishing?

6 posts in this topic

Does anybody use these type of GPS units loaded with lake contour chips for fishing?

Seems like a good thing to mount on my sled!

I use the Lowrance XOG. They are dirt cheap right now and can also be used in the car. They take LakeMaster and Navionics chips and even though the screen is on the smaller side, they zoom in well on the lake. When my Lowrance 332 took a dive this year I used it in the boat and it was more than adequate. Two downsides, battery life and waterproof. The battery won't last long without being hooked up to a car and they are only weather proof, so you need to be careful not to get them too wet.

The Lowrance H2OC is the most popular handheld gps with the ice fishing crowd. You get great lakemaps and detail with LakeMaster or Navionics chips. The unit is rugged and waterproof. It doesn't give you turn-by-turn driving directions like an automotive gps would, but it will hold up and perform better in the outdoors.

And you can get a RAM mount to put it on your sled or atv.

I am also looking for a (turn by turn) voice GPS in a (very close to) square screen (bigger the better) that accepts the Navionics chip. I want to use it for on the road type trips for work and personal, but use it in my boat and on the sled in the winter. Also a unit that RAM makes a mount for the vehicle, boat and sled.

I like the H2OC, but it is just not what I want.

Go to a sportshop and look at the XOG. I don't think you will be disappointed. I believe they make a holder for ATV's. And, no I don't sell them, I just like it.