• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This was disgusting!

I went out for a little pheasant chasing today. Part of my route took me along the gravel road that borders my property. On my way back I got just a short distance from the end of my driveway when I noticed a rooster tail poking out of the grass in the ditch.

I went to investigate and to my surprise I found no less than six rooster carcasses. Not one of them had any meat removed. Most of them were beheaded. I don't know where they came from or how they got there but I couldn't believe that someone would just kill birds and then drop them in the ditch along the road.

I was so ticked I quit hunting and came back to vent.

Unbelievable!

Bob

I had that happen a few years back,Saw one dead on side the road stopped and it was a whole bird.Didn't think much about it,went further and another one,It was freezing so I took a total of 5 birds within a 1 mile stretch of road right by the house! We were worried, no license! but they went into the trunk and so close to home,Needless to say we ate pheasant a few times no cost,no license,no shooting,no waste.

Not good, did you happen to inspect the bodies, were they shot? Just wondering. I can imagine the disgust you feel by finding that, hard to believe someone could do that.
Ya they all had been shot.they were about equally spaced on the road,whoever tossed them 1 at a time.

Actually I didn't. I don't know how long they'd been there. I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to track down the fools. I guess it can't hurt to report it anyway. It will alert Jeff to the activity anyway. Sometimes they can gather information from strange sources.

I think I'll do that.

Bob

Jeff called last night. He said that he would check it out. Unfortunately, as was pointed out, I neglected to report it immediately so the evidence if there is any will be old.

Might just encourage him to keep a closer eye on the area.

Bob

Quote:
Jeff is a pretty good guy.

Any time we've crossed paths I have found him to be very pleasant and respectful. Two very difficult attributes to hold on to when you're an officer of the law.

I know he has earned my respect and appreciation.

Bob

Now I'm feeling really foolish.

Today I decided to check out that pile of carcasses I found last Thursday. There's nothing there but a few feathers, maybe a cape. I suppose my dog has been into them since she was with me when I found them the first time but I have another theory that bothers me even more.

On the edge of the road right where those birds were I also found a part of one of those flags that the county uses to mark washout or culverts. I'm now suspecting the possibility that those who left those birds there also may have left that flag there too to mark the spot. I wonder if maybe some hunters over-filled their limit and stashed the birds there to pick them up later after bringing a "legal" limit home.

If I'm right then I am a fool for not reporting it sooner. The CO could have been watching for someone to return and retrieve the birds.

I may have messed this one up.

The only other explanation might be that the CO picked some up for evidence but I don't know what that would serve.

Bob

Ah, dont beat yourself up. Live and learn. It is doubtful they would have been caught. But be vigilant, now that you are aware of the issue, you can be on the lookout and maybe catch someone in the act. Jeff is now aware of it as well.

On my farm during the night I have lost lots of chickens after dark ducks also all that was missing were the heads. there are owls in my woods so we expect that they were responsible. Any ideas on that therory?
I've heard of mink & weasles doing that.Just taking the head especially mink I believe they like the crunch.

I was thinking owls as well. People often jump to conclusions, thinking the worst, when there are often other explanations. Why would a hunter cut the heads off and leave the bodies? Making a necklace? It just doesn't make sense. Could be any sort of animal out there, just a wierd coincidence maybe. Owls and hawks are among other things that would only eat the heads.