Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleye_central

jiffy ice auger speed adjustment issue

6 posts in this topic

I've messed my low and high speed adjustments up and I am now needing assistance. How do I reset the settings or get close to where I can adjust myself? It's a jiffy 3 horse. Please help.

Thanks

RJ

Welcome to FM but just wish it was under better circumstances wink Can you start it up and will it stay running ?

I've messed my low and high speed adjustments up and I am now needing assistance. How do I reset the settings or get close to where I can adjust myself? It's a jiffy 3 horse. Please help.

Thanks

RJ

pop the red caps off.

Close both jets GENTLY

Open the Low speed 1/4 turn

Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn

Start engine.

Adjust low speed until idling smoothly.

Open her up wide open.

Adjust High speed until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging.

Shut engine off. Let it cool.

Once engine is cold. Fire it up and let it idle for 30 secs. Open it up wide open again. Adjust if necassary.

The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

Low speed screw,the one on the left.

High speed on the right.

Jim ty yes it runs just needed somewhere to start.Sounds

like cold one sd has sent me on a track and will try when

it gets a little colder. ty for your help

I got a interesting tip on breaking in a 3 HP Jiffy from the factory tech Pro.

He recommended removing the auger lower cutting shaft assembly, placing the power head on a 5 gal pail with some water in it to stabilize it from tipping over, fill the tank with the mix ...and start it up and run it dry with the throttle wired wide open. Just walk away and let her buck! ( I suspect this may not make a guy too popular with his neighbors on a Sunday morning though?)

He also explained this would seat the rings and get the engine cleared out to run as it should from then on in the field. He also said most folks do not run a auger long enough in a first season to do this properly so the pail trick will do it well in one session.

Granted it is an air cooled engine so be sure it has air to cool itself properly, and it is out in the open so you don't gas yourself in an enclosed area.

Quote:
The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

That is some of the best info right there.Tune it up under the conditions that you are going to use it.