• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1lb propane deals??

lilwalter

Anyone finding any deals on 1lb propane? Seems every year after I stock up, they go on sale. I'm seeing the standard 2.99 per. How bout the little 12v batteries? I'm seeing those for $20 w/o the charger-that seems awfully high.

I just bought a VEX battery from FF. They have a choice between 8 amp/hour and 9 amp/hour, $15 and $24 respectively.

Believe it or not, I've always found the 1 lbers for less at Target and Wally World. However, with my Target discount, they usually come from there wink

I've been refilling the 1 lbs with the refill adapter from FF. It seems to be doing the job and makes the cost much less.

I bought the adapter from cabela's and a couple of the metal caps. Figured I'd just refill the 1 lb tanks. I though cabela's was high on the adapter, but couldn't find one. Hate hauling around the bigger tanks with the portable, they just take up to much room. Have you had any problems with refilling the tanks that you could give me a head up on.

Read the warning on the 1 lb tank. It's illeagal to transport a refilled tank.

I'm sure no one has ever been fined $500,000.00 or been sentenced to 5 years in prison for transporting one but it makes me think it's not worth the risk of refilling them.

I know guys that refilled tanks with jerry-rigged hoses and fidled with the pressure relief valve, etc. This was not for me. When the refill product appeared, I was in. I have refilled the tanks without incident. Biggest challenge could be making sure that they seal after you remove them from the adapter, but this can happen after taking the tank off of the lantern. Pat, I am guessing that if they were illegal, that a company would not make such a device. It would be obvious that the tanks would be traveling after refilled, so they should be prone to litigation if that is truly the law.

Read the warning on the 1 lb tank. It's illeagal to transport a refilled tank.

I'm sure no one has ever been fined $500,000.00 or been sentenced to 5 years in prison for transporting one but it makes me think it's not worth the risk of refilling them.

I'm sure they have a really good way of knowing if it has been refilled or not if a person gets pulled over. Bet if I set one I refilled next to one I bought at the store you couldn't tell.

Can't believe everone is making it sound so hard and difficult to do. You screw on the adapter and tanks turn the valve on fill then turn the valve off and unscrew. Can't see where it's anymore dangerous then putting gas in my car. I buy new 1 lb tanks every year though, so I don't have to worry about the tanks getting stressed.

Ask yourself this. Is the savings worth the risk of them possibly leaking and igniting?

I'm pretty sure it clearly states on the 1lbers that they are disposable and not intended for refilling. Secondly it's not legal to transport them anyways.

If you are going to do it, I say do it at your own risk.

Stumper,

It is a federal law that prohibits the transport of refilled 1 lb tanks, so it may not be illegal everywhere but it is anywhere in the U.S.A.

Agronomist_at_Iowa,

I'm not saying it is difficult to. It is legal to refill them, but it is illegal to put them in your car or truck and drive somewhere with them.

Originally Posted By: dtro
Is the savings worth the risk of them possibly leaking and igniting?

I don't see why it is such a huge risk? We've all taken partailly used tanks off and put them back onto our heaters. Same principle if your doing a refill.

If you look around a bit a do some research you will find that sooner or later you are going to get a leaker from doing multiple refills.

I don't know about you, but that sounds like a risk to me.

Considering that, if you do the math you will be hard pressed to find a savings greater that $50 for the season by refilling. Now add in the original cost of the adapter, and the time you spend futzing around doing the refills, not to mention you will only get them about 3/4 full, it's not worth it.

Risk of a leaker is the same as when I pull the tank off my Northstar lantern. I fill 6-8 tanks at a time and it takes very little time. Like I said earlier, if it was illegal to transport refilled tanks, why would the company be allowed to manufacture a component that is used to fill tanks that will most likely be transported.

I wish they just did away with the 1 pound tanks. if you use it for a heater, get the hose, and use a 20 pound tank. if its a lantern, just get a battery powered unit or the old white gas unit that I use. I am sick of all the empty 1 pound bottles left out on the ice.