• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing a "loaded" muzzleloader

jiggin' fool

Returning to muzzleloading after a 20-year "break" and I have a storage question for all of you. Back in the days of percussion caps and loose-powder, once I had a powder-charge in my gun, I always kept it in my truck after I was done hunting, (removing the cap of course), because I had heard that moving a gun from outside (cold) to in the house (warm) would cause condensation and dampen the powder-charge, (a mis-fire the next day). This was with loose powder!!!

I am now shooting 777-pellets.., should I follow the same line of thought.., or are the pellets more forgiving???

One other question.., I am assuming it isn't advisable to handle the pellets with your fingers.., to keep them from becoming "damp" from body-oil?

I guess I am just wondering.., how tempremental these pellets are.., or are they a bit more "forgiving"???

Thanks in advance for your advice. Have a great season folks!!

jiggin

I use triple 7s also and have good luck leaving the gun charged. I take the primer out and don't bring my gun in and out of the house. As far as handling the pellets they send a pipe cleaner to pick them up I have grabbed the pellets with my fingers in a pinch but try not to. Hope this helped have a good Thanksgiving.

FC

I'm with Full Choke. My gun stays in the garage all season. I'm not sure if pellets are less affected as loose powder but bringing the gun in the house many years ago before I knew better cost me a deer. I'm not willing to take the chance again.

I load up the night before my first day of hunting and store the gun cased in the truck (minus primer of course). Much like most everyone else,I am not able to hunt every day of the season so if I know I won't be hunting for a few days I will shoot the gun into a stump or target (if avalible) or my perfered target,A DEER and give it a good cleaning.

Way back when, using my dad's old cap lock, I made the mistake of bringing it in the house after a cold hunt, condensation + powder = suck! No removable breech plug = more suck.... Now it stays in the truck or garage for a day or two....

i can tell you one thing! fresh powder, and bullet every day take the worry out of it for me. and cap every 2 hour if i'am in the thick stuff or any damp conditions. that 30 pointer wont give you two chances.

With the triple 7 pellets I've left mine loaded for weeks and never had a problem. This I loaded it the day before the firearms season (since I use it for that also) and fired it for the first time this last Friday before the muzzle opener, without any problem.

A coworker of mine left his loaded from last year and this fall it fired right off. That I dont advise.

I all wise fire a cap in mine before I load it. That should dry out any moisture in the barrel out

I guess you just got to do what makes you comfortable

I leave mine loaded and out in the truck or garage the whole season and I've never had a problem. I have left it loaded from season to season before as John478's friend did and didn't have a problem with that either although I agree its not the best idea... No powder will fire wet, but leaving it in the gun for an extended period dry does not seem to cause one bit of a problem from my experience.

i feel bad for you guys that never had a problem to have a problem some day...when it happens it sucks...i do what it takes to avoid it.

i use triple 7 and 209 primers...left my gun out in the truck for a few days...went hunting and pulled the trigger and had exactly what jonny p is talkin about to me.

it happened one other time but not in a hunting situation...i wanted to go just shoot my gun off so i could clean it and store it...when i went to shoot it the same thing happened...glad i wasn't out hunting.

the barrels with sweat moisture when there is a tempature change...don't matter if it's in your truck or garage...doesn't happen all the time but even if it does shoot who's to say it fires off with the same accuracy as before?

bring your cold gun inside once and watch how wet the barrel gets.