Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KG243

Finally got a set-up!!

3 posts in this topic

Last years I got back into ice fishing and had a blast so this year I am purchasing one of the two man flip overs they sell at menards with a big buddy heater. I am thinking this portable should last a while tell I can afford what I really want. Hopefully by the end of the year I will add a flasher. Last year I never went out wothout catching a fish and never used a flasher so I think the flsher can wait. Know all we need is some cold weather and some more ice!

I would save your money! Bought one of those shacks last year and it lasted 2 trips out, plus a buddy bought one and the fabric cracked at 10 degrees. Just giving a freindly heads-up.

Hopefully that shack holds up better for you than for riverrat and congrats on getting back into the game!!! What a great hobby!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Yeah you should have known better lol.  Trying to have a conversation with a guy who is butthurt over a business that is getting tax subsidies because his isn't.  However if his was offered one he would be jumping at the opportunity.     #hypocritesandfrauds
    • Hey Kaepernick if you weren't so busy taking a knee and being angry you would see I already answered this question.  
    • I would put the sump on its own circuit without a GFI.  Leave the backup on a different circuit. I'd also add another or bigger battery to the back up. Since your water table is so high it might be a good idea to have an alarm on the backup. I'd bet there is some sort of app that can alert your smart phone. Breakers can become "weak".  One having been tripped from an overloaded circuit probably more to blame then age though.  Or it was bad to begin with. There are some counterfeit breakers as well so buy at a reputable suppler. Yes the pump can wear. Both the motor and the pump wear out. Having a float stick and pump run continually isn't good for the pump. What type float do you have?  If its a tethered ball type IMO they are going to fail sooner then later because they can get hung up on its own cord and pump. Of coarse the float on a rod should be checked and cleaned to be sure it can't get hung up.  
    • Have YOU asked the DNR any of those questions?     Has anyone here reported any vehicles they've seen crossing the state line with whole deer?     When we we buy our licenses there are regulation books available, and inside there is a handy section that points out NEW regulations for the year.  Should we not read at least that part?   I agree the new law would be better served if there was some heavy patrolling at the high volume state crossings, but with limited resources they sure could use some help from us.   I'm not a blind DNR defender here.  But I don't buy the conspiracy theory and won't blame them EXCLUSIVELY for all that ails our deer herd.  We do plenty of damage on our own.   Since deer and elk farms seem to be sources of CWD, why are they allowed to exist any longer?  Hint: The DNR doesn't have the authority to determine the existence of those farms.   Is there really only one scapegoat?
    • We came home from Thanksgiving to find that the circuit breaker that the sump pump is on had tripped and the basement floor was wet. We're in the process of replacing the carpet now. We have a pretty high water table and the sump pump runs a lot. I do have a battery backup pump, but once that battery dies, game over. I've been trying to figure out why the breaker tripped. The only other things that were running on that circuit while we were gone were the charger/controller for the backup pump, the water softener (very little amp draw) and the freezer. All the lights were off. There was a storm here with heavy rain and some snow while we were gone and someone suggested lightning may have been a factor, but why that would affect only that circuit escapes me. I've had the breaker trip twice since. The first time I had all the lights on and a fan running. The second time also lights on, running the drill press and shop vac. I've done that many times before with no trouble. Now I'm watching it like a hawk and we're nervous about being gone for any length of time. Questions: 1. If the float switch stuck "on", would the pump eventually overheat and trip the breaker? 2. Would the pump draw more amps as it ages? It's a high-quality cast-iron pump, probably 12-14 years old. 3. Do circuit breakers get weaker with age? I'm also considering getting an electrician in here to run a separate circuit for just the sump pump. I don't want to go through this again.  
    • Seasons On The Stream
        Alpha trout at head of feed lane. Maybe in fast broken water Subordinates all over hole but not close to alpha. Cast into top most part of fast funnel. Alpha waiting part way down the skinny feed funnel. Best to hit fast water to hide the splash. When wading, wake control a large factor here. Stay out of water if you can. Make first cast count or will get only dinks in this hole.

Bigger trout from area wintering at bottom of slow water near the fast water. Not in fast water. Subordinates chased out of hole by bigger trout. Best to hit fast water to hide the splash. Cast into top of feed funnel and slow retrieve so presentation will get down to trout sitting on bottom just back from the end of the fast water.

Trout extra wary on sunny no vegetation winter outing. Don't slap hole with line. Stay out of the water when attacking hole. Will be a one fish "only" hole due to water clarity and zero vegetation in hole. Any smart fish will spook when one is battled and drug through this clear non-vegetated hole.
    • Good question, why didn't they find any more?  Did those two infected deer parachute in?  Were they dropped by a helicopter?  I find it fascinating they could get as far as Lanesboro and they only find two out of thousands.  Like I said, they're bad at conspiracy.    Policing the borders?  How about a billboard, a radio ad, or a twitter campaign?  How about having the highway patrol pull over anyone with hooves or antlers sticking outta their truck box or laying on a flatbed coming across the border on the interstate?    My wealth and land ownership shouldn't disqualify me from questioning the DNR.  It used to be a staple of a free country to question your government.  Somehow now it's more important to kneel before the all knowing DNR and take whatever they want to shove in our mouths?  If this is real science and a real mitigation effort, let's have a discussion about it.  If the DNR wants to stop this spread, why are they not welcoming with open arms feedback like mine when it comes to import enforcement, and an effective PR campaign?  Cause guess what fella, lots of deer got hauled home from all kinds of places infected with CWD by uninformed folks that are going to cut up those critters and throw the brains and spinal cords out in the woods at home.    So yeah, this is either a giant hoax, or the DNR has no idea what the hell they're doing. 
    • I just checked on the fans that I bought, there 4.7 inchs sq and 1.25 thick. I thought they were 5 inch thick but I was wrong. They are 110v and I think I will put one inside on the bottom plate and see how it works. And I like where you have your fishingstar.
    • Slowly getting the outside buttoned up 
  • Our Sponsors