• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tamron 18-270 mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC

Nymph

Does anybody know anything about this lens? I was going to match it up with a Canon XSI for shooting birds. Just looking at what others might think of before they ran out and bought this combination.

I have a Tamron 75-300 mm that works pretty well for wildlife, I just bought a Kenko 1.4X extender and hopefully that will give me a little more reach (until I can afford a 100-400!) I also have a Canon 28-105 that I use for my everyday lens and I love it. At any rate, the Tamron lens was a good starter for me, and it was my only lens for about a year. I don't know about the effect of having that longer range but as others suggested, it does seem like you might loose some quality. Anyway, those are my thoughts, & be sure to get a good tripod! good luck!!

I just sold a Nikon 18-200VR that I wasn't happy with the vignetting I got with it wide open. I decided to go with a 18-105VR and a 70-300VR. Eventually I'll get something 400 or longer for wildlife and birds, but this works well and is an acceptable travel kit for me.

I believe that lens is a new product from Tamron. It may not have been reviewed yet by some of the online photo sites that offer reviews. I found only one site with one user review, not a true sampling.

Tamron's 18-250 does have favorable reviews out there. I would think that the addition of the VC to an already solid product will lead to favorable reviews by new users.

Canon has recently brought out an 18-200 with IS. That is getting some favorable reviews as well.

A 15X (18-270) zoom ratio is very ambitious.

Good Luck with your decision.

I'm going to jump in here with an opposite view. I needed a longer lens and due to budget constraints was limited to $1000. After read lens tests and reviews for weeks I bought a Sigma 50-500 zoom. Is it as sharp as a 500 prime? No, but it is sharper then my Nikor 70-300 which is a pretty good lens. The down side is that it is slow and heavy. all in all I like it.

I don't know much about Tamron lens but several photo shop have told their build quality is not as good as some of the others. They rated Tokinas as the best followed by Sigma then Tamron.