• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouse Question: V-Front or Standard?

wintertim

Has anyone had experience with both types? I'm designing a floorplan and most layouts seem to work best (for me) with a standard rectangle. I'm just wondering if V-front trailers really pull that much better or do they just look like they would pull better? If they are superior, why is the design unique to fish houses; i.e. I've seen thousands of RV camper trailers and not a single one with a V-front. I would think that good suspension and proper tongue-weight would be more of a factor for trailering performance, but I'm looking for input from seasoned owners. Thanks.

The V-nose pulls well for me. One thing to consider is that whichever design, you still need a tongue that's long enough to allow you to turn. With that said, a V-nose offers more interior space for the same length trailer, because you're just extending the V up the tongue.

Just a thought. As for easy of building, a box will always be less work...

I see your point; the V-nose is just using space that's necessary to the overall design and would be otherwise "wasted". But as you mention, it's more work to build, and for me, it makes it more difficult to build in enough sleeping space for me and the kids (and the occassional visit from the wife). Goin' back to the drawing board...

There was a post on a diesel towing forum a while back about the flat front v-nose trailers. Several owners chimed in with both styles. Most said the v-nose will get pushed around by the wind more than the flat front because if the wind is comming towards the front of the trailer at an angle it will throw things off.

The majority of the owners got rid of the v-nose for flat front trailers. Some of the owners tow their trailers around the country on several thousand mile trips per shot.

The v-nose in a fish house is nice for a bathroom though.

Most guys that I have talked to have told me that the v fronts pull easier. I have a square front and it pulls ok for me, but it is 6 1/2'x12' and only weighs 1,600 lbs. I would say that it pulls about like a 16' boat with a windshield. I don't drive long distances to fish and is suits my needs fine.

The Rv manufactures have alot of money inested in the aerodynamics look at what Frank builds ( frank's rv service) The v style houses are built because of the added room in the interior. Another example is a tractor trailer notice the air deflector on top of the tractor. The idea is to flow the air over the top of the objects not off to the side.

The Rv manufactures have alot of money inested in the aerodynamics look at what Frank builds ( frank's rv service) The v style houses are built because of the added room in the interior. Another example is a tractor trailer notice the air deflector on top of the tractor. The idea is to flow the air over the top of the objects not off to the side.

Bingo - we have a winner! V-nose only gives aero benefits above the cab of the truck at hiway speed - negligible, too, because at that position (top end of the V-nose) it's chaotic fluid-dynamics wash, like jet-wash, on an uncovered pickup. On a cab-topped pickup bed, the V-nose is imperceptible in its aero benefits. Might as well have a flat nose for all the good it does.

Pick v-nose 'cause of the extra room, not gas mileage or trailer-ability. Much better off to get a topper and/or airfoil if you want an extra couple MPG or not be buffeted by wind with a tall wheelhouse - v-nose or flat-nose.