• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it a "Barry Bonds" buck and was it smuggled from Minnesota?

lakevet

We all have a passion for whitetail deer hunting. When someone shows me a picture of the Great buck they harvest, I sincerely congratulate them. Then I ask if its a "Barry Bonds" buck. The purpose is to have them think about their hunting ethics/personal values in what they had to do to get that buck. It is not to be judge them or be sarcastic. If we are to have hunting in Minnesota for the next generation we need to constantly ask that question. Now with a Minnesotan convicted of smuggling "Barry Bonds" bucks from MN to Texas for paid Trophy hunts, it saddens me that the ego and the dollar are damaging our tradition. What do you think????

Keep hunting!...and don't forget to ask if its a "Barry Bonds" buck!

Lakevet

There was a guy in another thread who thought Biologic seed had hormones in it to produce big racks. Any wild deer with a big rack has great nutrition, genetics, and most important age. Now I'm sure there are some penned deer that poeple could shoot up with drugs but lets not pretend that these big bucks are being doped up all over the country.

Barry Bonds is under indictments regarding use of steroids by professional baseball players. His career achievements are overshadowed by the possibility he used drugs to get er done and hit all those home runs. A "Barry Bonds" buck is one that is harvested using methods outside of "fair chase" and the accoplishment is overshadowed by the means used to harvest the buck. An example wound be a texan shooting a smuggled buck from minnesota off a ranch in texas, possibly in a pen then bragging what a great hunter he is when he actually "bought and shot". It could also be shooting after shooting hrs are over. We seem so driven to get that big buck we can end up doing things that we ourselves are uncomfortable with/ wouldn't normally do. A Minnesota man was sentenced to jail time for smuggling Minnesota whitetail bucks to Texas to a Trophy Ranch just this week. Hope that helps explain "Barry Bonds" Buck.

Lakevet

Barry Bonds is under indictments regarding use of steroids by professional baseball players. His career achievements are overshadowed by the possibility he used drugs to get er done and hit all those home runs. A "Barry Bonds" buck is one that is harvested using methods outside of "fair chase" and the accoplishment is overshadowed by the means used to harvest the buck. An example wound be a texan shooting a smuggled buck from minnesota off a ranch in texas, possibly in a pen then bragging what a great hunter he is when he actually "bought and shot". It could also be shooting after shooting hrs are over. We seem so driven to get that big buck we can end up doing things that we ourselves are uncomfortable with/ wouldn't normally do. A Minnesota man was sentenced to jail time for smuggling Minnesota whitetail bucks to Texas to a Trophy Ranch just this week. Hope that helps explain "Barry Bonds" Buck.

Lakevet

So because one guys breaks the law you automatically ask everyone who shoots a nice buck if it is a legal deer. I guess I would take it as an insult but that is just me.

I am not saying that hormones are used to grow big racks. Nor is it a connection to any of the famous bucks identified by the name of the hunter who harvested them. I am not asking if they shot it in Texas. It is about being legal and ethical. I was trying to make the point that a truly great buck is hunted and harvested legally and ethically, and to do it any other way taints the deer, deer hunting and ultimately the hunter who stepped over the line to get the buck. Just as Barry Bonds home run record is tainted by the possibility of drug use and reflects negatively on baseball. Asking if it is a "Barry Bonds" buck is asking if it was harvested legally and ethically. I don't expect an answer, just asking the hunter to think. The mpls star tribune HSOforum has info on the smuggling case. Sorry for any confusion. Hope this clarifies. Just my humble opinion.

Lakevet

I am not saying that hormones are used to grow big racks. Nor is it a connection to any of the famous bucks identified by the name of the hunter who harvested them. I am not asking if they shot it in Texas. It is about being legal and ethical. I was trying to make the point that a truly great buck is hunted and harvested legally and ethically, and to do it any other way taints the deer, deer hunting and ultimately the hunter who stepped over the line to get the buck. Just as Barry Bonds home run record is tainted by the possibility of drug use and reflects negatively on baseball. Asking if it is a "Barry Bonds" buck is asking if it was harvested legally and ethically. I don't expect an answer, just asking the hunter to think. The mpls star tribune HSOforum has info on the smuggling case. Sorry for any confusion. Hope this clarifies. Just my humble opinion.

Lakevet

Why not just ask them if it was harvested legally?

Bear 55

Good point. I ask this of people I know, not just anyone. I agree with you that it would be insulting to do that to a stranger. The ones that are above board are not insulted. The ones over the line have food for thought. I have yet to have anyone mad at me for asking the question in person. Thanks for the input.

Lakevet

...and to do it any other way taints the deer, deer hunting and ultimately the hunter who stepped over the line to get the buck. Just as Barry Bonds home run record is tainted by the possibility of drug use and reflects negatively on baseball. Asking if it is a "Barry Bonds" buck is asking if it was harvested legally and ethically. I don't expect an answer, just asking the hunter to think. The mpls star tribune HSOforum has info on the smuggling case. Sorry for any confusion. Hope this clarifies. Just my humble opinion.

Lakevet

Just me, but the reference of a "barry Bonds" buck, is still confusing, is that what the red star and tribune is calling it?

The tribune (which I usually don't read) just talks about the smuggling case. They don't use the term "Barry Bonds Buck"."Barry Bonds Buck" is a phrase that I created and used to take a jab at a good friend. I noticed it didn't offend and made him think about where the line is in pursuing trophy bucks. I have heard him using it on other guys. It is a friendly jab that helps one think when that buck of a lifetime is standing in the yard at night and something in our head whispers "shoot him-no one will know". Hopefully they remember that I will be asking them if it was a Barry Bonds buck (and I know they will be asking me!). This actually happened today. A friend has had a 12 pt buck in his yard most of the fall. Disappeared during rifle season. The morning after season it was feeding on the edge of his lawn. He could have shot and registered it and no one would know but him. The phrase "Barry Bonds Buck" went though his head. He took a picture instead and has a story that many can relate to. He also bought a muzzleloader. smile Hope he gets that 12 pt this weekend.

lakevet