• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baldys and their menu!

I was told by the LQP park manager that there were up to 6 bald eagles hanging around the geese, on the river. I drove there yesterday and saw just one, a long ways off. I went back this morning and first saw one in the tree and then another joined him. Unfortunately, he wouldn't let me approach at all. Also, every time a gun would go off in the area, they would jump. They are definitely more skittish than the eagles by Red Wing. This shot was cropped down to about 1/3. However, you can see the one eagle's eye poking out between the brances.

They love finding wounded geese. Goose hunting is still going on and every so often, they'll find a wounded one. Thank God for steel shot. As of this week, there were reportedly 122,000 geese on the refuge.

3062026650_3fb859d63f_o.jpg

3061185031_3086c3ace6_o.jpg

Thanks, Jim. I can't believe what I just discovered. I didn't even have my lens extended all the way. The exif says 300mm. That's kind of weird. Why would the lens stop at exactly 300mm. I wonder if it's possible the exif is wrong?

Great lighting and detail, Mike. I really like how sharp and nice that image is.

The 100-400 is sharper bumped down to 350 or 300mm than it is at 400mm. And I see you shot it at f8, so you've gotten the sharpest possible combination there. I doubt exif is wrong. Could be you just hit a tight spot when you were pushing the lens out to zoom. That happened to me now and then if I didn't have the zoom ring loosened quite enough.

Have you tried it since to make sure it's going all the way out to 400mm? Some copies of that lens developed problems with the focus/zoom ring over time and have needed servicing.

A little more exciting than my back yard?

Kind of a toss up. grin

Steve, I just checked my lens and it's smooth all the way. Maybe the zooming hand hit something while I was zooming. I was in the SUV with my one arm on the arm rest, supporting the lens. That might have happened. It's just kind of strange that it would have stopped at exactly 300mm, not 298 or 301, but exactly 300. Anything is possible.

Mr. Meyer, if you like the geese so much, count them and get back to me with the results. wink

Nice work Mike. I like the eagles, too bad that stick got in the way. Looks like you may not have to make as many trips over to Rochester although with gas prices where are, I say make many trips as you can before the prices go back up.

Looks like the refuge has about the same amount of geese as the golf course across the street from me. I was out on Marsh lake last week before it froze over and there were a ton of geese and mallards hanging around. Have fun shooting.

The place to be right now would be Squaw Creek NWR in Missouri. As of monday, there were over 124,000 geese, 120,000 ducks and 61 bald eagles, at the refuge. I was there lsat year, the last weekend of November, and 3/4 of the wetlands was froze. This year, they have no ice. However I didn't have my Canon at the time.

Mike was at Lac Qui Parle on Turkey Day, saw only one large bird but turned out to be a turkey buzzard. Dang near got hit by a car full of retiree's on a slow drive around the lake. Missed the picture also. I am little disapointed but I only had a few minutes to look b4 I had to eat turkey.

Mike was at Lac Qui Parle on Turkey Day, saw only one large bird but turned out to be a turkey buzzard. Dang near got hit by a car full of retiree's on a slow drive around the lake. Missed the picture also. I am little disapointed but I only had a few minutes to look b4 I had to eat turkey.

I had been there the day previously and saw just 1 eagle, a long ways off. I think it's hit & miss type of deal. I talked to an older fella walking along the lake and he said that he's seen up to 6 in one day and other days none.

BTW, if you almost got hit my a slow moving car, how slow were you going? grin