• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weekend plans!

JRedig

I'll be on Tonka for Turkey Day and over the weekend, wherever the ice is not. Forecast changed a little bit from yesterday with the wind coming but I'm happy I won't have to battle ice on the reels all day. Might even have to go downtown over the weekend if Tonka freezes up.

Big wood, big rubber, maybe some time with the fuzzy - one more in the boat would be great, slob or not. I'm just not ready to hang it up yet.

Topwaters apparently today, and I think i'm going to throw this showgirl I've had lying around for the last couple of years, it's only seen the water once.

I really only need to see a fish today to end on a good note, boating one would just be that much more sweet.

you can throw topwaters on the top of the ice on Tonka, Tonka is froze over... stick a fork in it, unless it somehow breaks up, even if it breaks up you will have ice bergs all over and could sink your boat!!!! peace! you could maybe find a river to throw your topwaters.

I think Im done for the season... already packed up my stuff, put few things up for sale, etc etc... Think Im gonna just force myself to focus on finishing up my boat before the 2009 season comes around... then go from there... and get some upgrades when it comes to the reels...

I've heard that the Garrison access on the big pond is open, but I can't say for sure. Other than that the rivers aren't frozen quite as bad as the lakes, croix has boats on it.

Anybody checked the city lakes?

Thanks for the update. But I have a smaller boat so I tend not to fish the big pond unless I go with a buddy of mine who has a bigger boat, and he put his away last week. Well I guess it's time to put the boat away and get the ice gear out....oh ya and start to tinker around with baits and make new ones.

Didn't see any fish yesterday on 'sip. My trolling motor battery crapped out which made staying on any spot for very long pretty tough, not any wind to speak of really but that current makes those sweet spots go by pretty fast.

Had a lot of fun watching a friend of mine that was in the boat catch a reeeeeally hungry 5-6 lb. northern though. The fish chased his spinner bait back to the boat and missed it about 3 times, finally got hooks on it boatside then it popped off and he took his bait out of the water and i yelled "No no no no no put that bait back down there!" and the fish missed the bait another 3 or 4 times. eventually he had to play with the fish on the other side of the boat because we drifted into a lot of ice, so he switched sides and the fish stuck around and he finally got him to bite after a few more misses. He played the fish in and right as it got close to the boat the hooks popped out so I shot my hand down there and made the best gill-land of my career. flawless.

It was nice to end my season with a fun fish like that.

"which end is the sucker on?"

pretty sure i heard the bigger fish laughing as I tossed that little dink back yesterday. yes, i did say that one more in the boat would be nice, but seriously.

still fishing saturday and sunday if possible.

Was out all day today, one HOT follow right when we got out and not a [PoorWordUsage] thing the rest of the day. I will be out tomorrow and sunday. We threw just about everything including suckers, nothing got hit at all. Absolutely GORGEOUS day though, glad to be out!

ON Tonka all day, nothing, does anyone that was out there today, think it will be open tomorrow, w/ the low winds i am thinking today was the last day, what does everyone else that was out there say for tomorrow???? Anyone??

It'll be open, IMO. The water was 40 degree's in places still. There will be some surface ice around the bays and some launches, but nothing an oar or chisel won't solve, not to mention a high near 40 again. These conditions just keep going, it started to freeze up 10 days ago, i'm amazed it's hung on this long.

Thanks Chris, we'll see what happens. Today was tough, shouldn't have expected different looking at the weather/high pressure though. Tomorrow looks good!

Well, today may have been it. 'Tonka was iced over this morning, 1/2 inch to an inch. Bunch of us spent the day breaking it open and keeping it open in whatever small area you were in. Not a breath of wind, i'd bet it's gonna freeze a little more seriously tonight. I'd be surprised if it'll be break'able tomorrow.

Had a couple follows up real shallow from a fish I spooked on the inside edge while in commute to another open spot. Fish wouldn't get within 15 feet of the boat without spooking. Talked to one boat who got a 49 on a sucker, nice job guys!

I hope it can be broken up tomorrow, still looking for that fall fattie!

Forecasting strong wind tomorrow. Let's hope its enough to break the ice open for you guys. I went ice fishing for the first time of the year and got 8 crappies and a walleye. Wishing I was casting a pounder though.