• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum sheet thickness

WALLEYEDUDE2001

I have two places to get the aluminum sheets. One has .030 & the other has .040. Aside from the relatively small diff. in price, is .030 more likely to dent/damage vs the .040 ? Also, I would assume the .030 would be a little easlier to work around corners if need be. Anyone use the .030 w/no problems ?

I have used .030 for a few applications with no difficulties. What are you planning to use it for. Siding/roofing for an ice house? If it is for that I would probably go with the .040 just to have it be a little stronger for trips down the road and what not.

I had my dad form up some .030 for me to use for the rod lockers on my boat mod project. With .030 for siding you will be more prone to the oil canning effect, which probably isn't a big deal on an ice house. The difference in workability between the two is minimal.

i'm in the middle of a camper coversion and i used .040 for roof.(one piece rollled roofing,from back,roof, front) and have .024 (4x8sheets) for the sides. i.m no expert but i dont think there will be a problem. its been awhile since i was comparing but i think there was a 1/2pound per square foot difference between 0.24 and .040. not big deal but if your keeping wieght an issue. good to know