• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chubby Darters

WhiskeyPete

GMO, Gold Metallic Orange is the top producer on LOW. Next often is the HP Hot Perch, than the LOD Luminescent Orange Dace. #4 and #5's are the most often used, I'm not afraid to use the #6's yet the #5 often will get the most in numbers, while the #6 is a hog caller for sure.

The #3 and #4 do well on perch too, especially the #3 in GMO or LOD.

If the water is running stained to cloudy, up a size, and try the Yellow Dace, LOD, HP, or even the Salmo Zipper in Firetiger, Luminescent Real Roach, or Glow Tiger. wink

I love CD's! Yes they catch crappies. Big ones! I use the smallest CD I can find, I primarily fish the metro and rarely catch pot chip crappies on CDs. Its a SLAB CALLER. Although last season on a west metro lake I was catching 7-8" crappies. They just couldnt stay off it right around dusk. IMO they have to be really active to take a CD. My personal best is a 12.5" Slab on Tonka w/ a Hot Perch CD.

Use the big ones to call in slabs to a dead stick with a minnow. It is a deadly tactic. Ed was spot on with his color choices and size. I will start with the hot perch first everytime. Do not tip them with anything. They are something you will need to get used to. Keep an eye on your flasher to guage the mood of the fish. Once you gain confidence with the chubby's you will find that they are VERY worth the $$$

Its a jerk/pop kind of lure. A lot of guys, including me, will hole the lure steady 1' off the bottom and then give it a good pop. After the pop, let the lure flutter to a rest and give it several small bounces and repeat. They can be a real killer if the fish are on!

Bought one last year and slammed the crappies on them last winter and did today too until about a nine pound northern snapped my line right at the hole! Usually only work real well when the fish are aggressive. Guess I'll have to buy another.....