• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"In the sticks" phone / DSL service

LwnmwnMan2

Question

I'm wondering what you guys got for phone and DSL service when you're outside of Comcast or Quest range.

I've got Frontier for phone and DSL, and would like to know if there's some other companies that I can get a price from.

I've tried doing the research online, but just can't seem to find anyone.

FWIW, I'm about 5 miles north of Forest Lake, 5 miles south of North Branch.

Soooooo... you guys up around Bemidji, Brainerd, Worthington, real real outstate guys with local services, those probably won't help too much.

5 answers to this question

DSL is normally provided by whoever has the local phone service. You could see if there is any wireless or satellite providers in the area if you aren't happy with what Frontier provides. We have Medicacom up here on the Range.

Try USCable as well. I am in Wyoming and Frontier and USCable are my only two options. Right now I am with Frontier for DSL and phone and have Dish TV. I didn't know about USCable until I had already started a 2 yr contract with Frontier, so no comparisons yet, and I'm not sure if they are in your area or not, but they are close.

You're so lucky to be out of the range of the Big 2 in MN. Q and C are both terrible IMO. I have Earthlink DSL which is actually Qwest - it works.

Your cable company there might be Charter. Charter is good. Cable might be a little more expensive than DSL though.

Do not consider Hughesnet or Wildblue if you currently have DSL. I'm 10 miles east of North Branch and have Hughesnet. During the day speeds are ok, evenings are barely better than dial up. If its raining or snowing you are lucky to get any signal at all. Also expensive, I have their "pro plus" plan at $80 a month and am lucky to see speeds half of what they say you might get. Also am limited to 425mb download in a 24 hour period on their "Fair Access Policy". Their base package is 200mb usage/24 hours. I work from home so have to have some sort of high speed access.