• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What did you learn in 2008

bassNspear

Biggest thing for me was committing to learning how to use baitcasters. I thought I would never figure it out with confidence. Now it is what I use 90% of the time (except when walleye fishing) ... Love 'em.

Also started using SK Red Eye Shads ... Love them things.

Next season, I really want to work on my plastics, jig fishing, and dropshoting.

Biggest thing for me was committing to learning how to use baitcasters. I thought I would never figure it out with confidence. Now it is what I use 90% of the time (except when walleye fishing) ... Love 'em.

Also started using SK Red Eye Shads ... Love them things.

Next season, I really want to work on my plastics, jig fishing, and dropshoting.

Muskie fishing got me into the baitcasters. There's a lot of situations they are good for. I still struggle casting anything but solid pieces of wood into the wind.

This year I either got better at digging out backlashes or did a better job of limiting my damage when I did. I'm also very happy to have gone with left-handed retrieve baitcasters.

I do need to work on my jig fishing though. Well, I feel my presentation isn't bad, just the situations I decide to use them in.

I learned about fishing deeper... 15-20 feet a lot more this summer. Also returned to using plastic, had forgotten how much fun it is.

That and the DT series from Rapala - great baits.

Night fishing with big blades was a new experience for me this year, look to do more of it next year

I fished cranks a lot more this year. The only downside is that I got so used to runnin & gunnin that I didn't have the patience to slow down with plastics as much.

Put a lot of casts on my Citica this summer and am officially hooked on baitcasters!

I'd pay someone to spend a day in my boat with me and show me how to use my LMS 332c. I spent about $800 on it when I bought my boat and probably use 10% of its functionality. With two little ones at home, I don't have much time in the boat and I don't want to spend it playing with the finder.

I learned that a brand new motor doesn't start if the kill switch is tripped.

I relearned that the morning bite is still better and more prolonged than the evening bite.

I learned that no matter what the guys in my bass club think, I can catch alot of fish and big ones on spinnerbaits, but you have to throw more colors than just white.

And I learned to believe my little brother when he tells me he is going to catch a six pounder the night before we go fishing.

All and all it was a great year and I caught fish everytime out. I didn't get much real "fall" fishing in because the water temps dropped so late and I was busy with other things and that dissapointed me.

I fished cranks a lot more this year. The only downside is that I got so used to runnin & gunnin that I didn't have the patience to slow down with plastics as much.

Put a lot of casts on my Citica this summer and am officially hooked on baitcasters!

I'd pay someone to spend a day in my boat with me and show me how to use my LMS 332c. I spent about $800 on it when I bought my boat and probably use 10% of its functionality. With two little ones at home, I don't have much time in the boat and I don't want to spend it playing with the finder.

Most of the functions on todays electronics are "extras". As long as you know how to read the sonar, mark waypoints and icons, and make trails you should be just fine.

Muskie fishing got me into the baitcasters. There's a lot of situations they are good for. I still struggle casting anything but solid pieces of wood into the wind.

This year I either got better at digging out backlashes or did a better job of limiting my damage when I did. I'm also very happy to have gone with left-handed retrieve baitcasters.

I started using B/C bass fishing - went muskie fishing for the fist time this fall. FIRST CAST ... I rigged a Double Cow Girl on an 8ft B/C muskie setup, rifled it into a stiff wind (normally not a problem) and had the most rediculous backlash EVER - turns out I was so excited being my first Muskie outing, totally forgot to check the spool tention nob (was very lose) eek Luckily was able to get it out without cutting line during a long trolling run grin