• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc 125 or Merc 150 ??

Joe Suits

Question

I have a chance to trade up from the 125 that came on my Mr. Pike 1800 to a 150 at a heck of a price. Not knowing a lot about engines, how does everyone feel about switching motors? All pros and cons would be greatly appreciated!! I have a chose of the 150 EFI or 150 Classic.

Thanks !!

2 answers to this question

Joe, One of the irrefutable truths about boats is that no one, but no one has ever complained about having to much horsepower. If its a heck of a price, then its a heck of a good deal! I had a Merc 175 EFI on a boat I used when I guided in Texas. (same block as the 150) I put over 500 hrs on it in 2 years and it always performed flawlessly. I would have no problem shelling out hard earned dough for another one. By all means get the 150 you will be happier in the long run. You will see better top end speed, and may possibly get better fuel economy to boot.

joe i also would step up! the extra power can make a difference in rough weather and a heavy load or just to bring it up on plane. it also will make the boat more valueable if you ever decide to sell it. most guys i have talked to agree ; run the most power you can afford or allowed for the boat. i have a 175 on my 18 ft ranger. love it. del