• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about cargo trailer to ice house conversion.

XUSMC

I have a DCT 14' Enclosed trailer for my woodworking business. I'm thinking of adding some hole covers and use PVC sleeves to keep the cold air from coming up through the hole. Nothing fancy. Not converting it to crankdown but will leave it up. Question I have is that this thing tips the scales at 5500 lbs empty. I will be pulling it with a 2003 Ford F-150 FX4. Is this rig gonna be too heavy for Minnesota ice or will I be within the limits. I live in Iowa but I just love coming up to Minnesota icefishing. I never catch much (Have yet to catch a walleye or pike through the ice) but I love being up there. My older brother and I came up to Minnewaska last year. We caught 3 perch and 2 Crappie, was there during some of the coldest weather I've ever fished in and broke my brand new Lazer Mag Express on the first day. Drilled holes in 25 inches of ice with my 8" Mora for the next two days but we really enjoyed ourselves.

Should be enough ice for you up here. I would wait for about 18 inches for that rig to be safe. We used to race snowmobiles and we had a dodge 3/4 ton deisel and a 30 ft enclosed trailer full of 4 sleds, welders, air compressors etc. We would pull out onto lakes and in the pit area (on the lake). There would be a buch of the same next to us. I think the thinnest we went on with that was 14" but it was scary.