• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KQ92 bad press!

pikerliker

I was listening to the KQ92 morning show this a.m. and they were featuring deer hunting mishap stories. What bothered me is that they gave about 3-4 stories of hunters shooting themselves in the foot, shooting through a day care home and grazing two kids, and 1 where a guy shot one of his hunting partners through the chest. There was banter about how we all are carrying a beer can in one hand and a gun in the other, etc. From my point of view it was a horrible misrepresentation of hunters and hunting.

Not one of these stories was from Minnesota. 1 was from Michigan and I believe a couple from Wisconsin. The problem is they made it sound like the woods was full of hunters shooting each other and themselves. One story of a guy who shot himself in his foot inside his car was actually a poacher and not even a legal hunter but he just gets lumped right in with us.

How many people listen to that show who have no exposure to hunting and get a horribly distorted view of hunting and hunters in general. These type of things stick in peoples heads and they remember that stuff when it comes to legislation, allowing you to hunt on their land, etc. I just think it's a shame and a hyped up story. When you think of all the hunters between the 3 states listed maybe a million and a half or so? And you have 3 or 4 mishaps? I'd say that's pretty good. I guess it just bothers me sometimes how we as hunters are portrayed. One "funny" bit on a well listened to morning show can do irreparable harm to us and our sport. Let them know what yo think.

~piker

well that is the news/story.....it is not fun or interesting if they talk about the guy that went to his stand didn't shoot didn't c anything and went home........the bad apples will always bring down the rest of the group!! If someone lumps a group with the bad apples they are pretty ignorant and they probably already thought that said group was no good to begin with.......

A guy from Woodbury called in and let them know about the blaze requirements ect. If you still have a problem with the report and conversation, call in and let them know how you feel. Sad to say, hunters die every year in the woods from accidents, whether it is accidental shootings, falls from treestands, or heart attacks while dragging out thier prize. Bad press maybe, but look at the CO reports in the outdoor news about all of the violations that so called hunters and anglers get each week. That is something that chaps my hide more then a radio snippet. By the way, I was getting ready to call in and give my 2 cents but the lines were full. Hunt smart, be ethical and help out where you can, if we all do this the stories might change for the better!

Tunrevir~

Piker,

if you listen to the KQ show enough, you know how much sattire they put into their broadcast. I'd take it with a grain of salt. Although the general listening public can't comprehend 99% of what they say as being fact or fiction.

I was about to call in one day and chew Barnard a good one when he was talking about "Sven" on Kare11 and was coming up with different ways to pronounce his last name. Then he threw my last name out there. I about flipped. Not sure how many of us he knows, but he sure does know a lot about Le Sueur (he lived here for a short period of time as a kid).

Speaking of Le Sueur, I wonder who "Mike" was this morning who called in for the trivia game.

Not sure if you remember who I am. Our sons both played Defensive End this year.

I heard it and thought they went a bit overboard, but that's their thing. You can always call in if you want. To me it's the few bad hunters/outdoorsman that make the good ones look bad. You only need a couple of stories like that and they end up perceiving us all like that.

you know what, I like to listen to them for that very reason.

I laugh at the times they make fun of other activites or people, so the only thing I can do is laugh right along when it's directed at something close.

Bigger things to worry about......

I was listening and didn't think it was that bad. Let's look at it:

• A poacher who shoots himself in the foot while in his car. They kind of made fun of the guy and did point out that he was doing something illegal.

• The guy that was shot in the chest was part of a group "driving deer". They made the point that, what the heck, can't you tell the difference between your buddy and a deer? Then they talked about the blaze orange etc. Concluding that his buddy probably shot without knowing exactly what he was shooting at...it's been known to happen.

Both of these instances involve people not being responsible or legal. There's at least one guy on the show that hunts, and I think he pointed out that these are rare examples and stuck up for the responsible behavior of most hunters.

As someone said before, anytime there's an accident in the woods, it's going to be covered by the press, it's a story. It points out that there is a portion of hunters that don't do it in a responsible manner. Until everyone is responsible and follows the law, hunters will continue getting bad press when something bad happens.