• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am confused on what to buy???

GSB Ice Man

I currently have a Vexilar FL-8 flasher, but I want to ether purchase a new FL-20 or a LX-5. The problem is, I seen the VX 1 at Gander today and like the fine line graph and at a price of 200, I could still get a lower end camera. What say you guys?? I may be going to the show next week in St. Paul to puchase the item.

Mr. genz catches fish with an fl-8 so you dont need a super fine line, you dont need a flasher with zoom. they are handy in some situation get the 18 and a couple JM rods you wont regret it. been using my 18 for 3-4 years and have no reason to upgrade. I just hope ya buy a vex.

The VX-1 is a great starter flasher and deserves full credit. However, if you're using a FL-8 and are looking for an upgrade don't sell yourself short. Go for the LX-5 and you'll never look back. Others have said good things about the FL-18 and FL-20 and they too are good. I'm a fan of the fine lines of the Marcum.

A cheap low end camera is just that. In the long run you'll kick yourself for going cheap on the camera. If you have a certain budget, I'd seriously look at the higher end flasher.

I would also say go high end flasher. If you have an Fl-8 the vx1 wont be an upgrade at all really unless you unit is going bad. Cameras are fun at times but like sandman said not always that useful for catching fish so I woul say there are better places to spend the money.

As long as there are different flasher brands, there will be flasher wars. grin

You have the right idea, tho. Get as much info on each one as you can before you drop the coin. And let's face it, they aint cheap.

So far you should have learned not to bother with a low end camera, and the difference between your FL-8 and the VX-1 is very little except the VX has bottom zoom. So, while it's a great flasher, it's not really an upgrade for you.

Some of the biggest benefit of a camera IMHO is that you can learn a lot more about how various jigging motions effect the movement of your jig. If you have kids it can be some fun video entertainment to keep them busy.

If you fish out of a permanent, I could see possibly justifying if I had all the other must haves. But for going portable, you have to ask youself, do you really want to haul around extra 5lbs of equipment?

Commando,at least you got the sister deal figured out.Cheap is cheap.I think in the long run you would live to regret buying a cheap camera.Just think that it should be something you should buy the the best you can afford.You already know how good your flasher is.So it's a personal choice.

Go for the new Hummingbird. You will be really impressed if you can find someone that knows how to turn it on demo mode and show you the features. The sales associates are still catching up to speed on them. they have the best of Marcum and Vexilar and then some. Just my opinion.