Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrappiesNCats

My Golden Discovers what ice is....

6 posts in this topic

so i was hunting a WMA yesterday with two golden retrievers. One belonged to me and the other my uncle, but he couldnt go out for the day. After a poor shooting performance i finally dropped a nice rooster with 24 inch tail feathers. I put it in my vest and continued to hunt. about 30 seconds later a pheasant flushed and flew over the frozen slough/lake. i shot and got a piece of it (poor shot as i should have had it) the pheasant flew about 50 yards up the shoreline and landed in a finger of land that led out to the middle of the lake.

i had previously tested the ice and it was more than 3 inches on the particular area i was hunting. so my uncles dog and i are near the shoreline and the dog is checking some cattails as maybe the pheasant ran from the switchgrass into the cattails. we can't find the bird at all. but i noticed my dog was missing, so i called for her, but no sign.

next thing i knew about 200 yards up the shoreline i see a pheasant running on the ice and there was my golden in hot pursuit. the pheasant was just winged and in pretty good shape but couldnt fly. now a pheasant can dig into the ice and run at full speed over ice, a dog has pads. my dog would run after the bird and it would just move and my dog would slide past it. it took me a few minutes to get up to where the battle was happening and the whole time that pheasant stayed close to shore on the ice, but never went back to the cattails or grass. so my dog would make a run, slide way past the bird and continue. finally the bird decided to run up and over a muskrat house and my dog cut it off on the way down and made a diving stop and had the pheasant for me right when i got to her.

i was really pleased that she picked up that scent and followed it without giving up and also pleased that the ice was thick enough because a week ago that would have been a dangerous situation. anyway, i think it took me longer to get to her because i couldnt hardly stop watching the comedic performance she was putting on.

anyway, thats my rambling story. between the public land and permissioned land i hunted i saw more than 100 birds yesterday

Be honest.... You were laughing out loud the entire time weren't you? Because that sounds a lot like a benny hill moment. grin

Sounds like you had a good time.

Be honest.... You were laughing out loud the entire time weren't you? Because that sounds a lot like a benny hill moment. grin

Sounds like you had a good time.

yeah, i was. after a really bad shooting performance it was what i needed.

This is great and i know it is funny, now just think if instead of one dog there were two dogs and both were sliding and running into each other.

Sounds like you have been having a good season over there! Maybe next year I can tag along with sometime.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• 44 IN THE BOAT HERE ON HIDDEN BAY. One thing you always can count on here at Lake Iwanttobethere is that after a lousy day there will be a nice day. Warmer, party cloudy skies and it is warm where I sit at my desk here in the den. The brown dog is at my feet, his paws on my right foot keeping tabs on me. Yesterday was a rain day and normally I look forward to rain days as they give me time to catch up on indoor projects. Rain days in the dead of winter however do nothing more then create work. Ground is frozen so all we have is runoff which here in the cabin means a wet floor in the basement. Overnight the water freezes and now we quickly go through the ice melt trying to get rid of the ice so it is safe to walk on the sidewalks.   Ranger Rick is reporting that his trail system at Samantha Lake is a mess. The rain and warm weather has eaten away at his trails. The short cut across Samantha Lake is not recommend to use as their is water on the ice and getting on and off the lake is unsafe at best. No fishermen on the lake yesterday but then again it rained more then a half an inch. Big hockey game on tonight the Wild against the Black Hawks. We will see if putting the seventy inch TV in will draw a beer drinking crowd. I would love to be there but have been under the weather the past few days and will be watching from home.   I have gotten a few e-mail’s asking about Lake Iwanttobethere and it is a good time to be a little more clear about the Lake. The wife has never had her named mentioned in the eleven years I have been writing about the lake. She told me she did not want anyone to know her name so she is always refereed to as "The Wife" of my four kids only the boys names have been used as they own business in town, the daughters have never had their names mentioned except the one who paints is sometimes spoken about as at Christmas she paints store front windows. None of the eight grand kids names have been mentioned but they are often refereed to a granddaughter number two or grandson number three. The two ten year olds are spoken about often and are refereed to as "The Tenners"   Almost every one in town is based on someone I know. A few of them have passed on but I still write about them, kind of my tribute to them. I could still be writing about my old dogs Bud and Barney as they left me with a ton of stories untold but I shared my loss with you over them and have moved on. Now I leave it up to you how much the Lodge and Resort are. One of you called the Resort a bar and it is far more then that. The Lodge is a place for members to hang their hats. There are lockers in the basement for their stuff and a chair in the Main Room to sit and be left alone. Not everyone drinks, for example everyday Tom sits at the end of the bar with a cup of coffee every morning and does his crossword puzzle. I never mention him much because that is just what he does. The FELLOWS on the other hand seem to be doing something all the time that you may find interesting. The Resort is a place for the guys to get away from the Lodge if that makes any sense.   The Resort has become like our Lake Iwanttobethere old guys home. Marv, Elmer, DOC and Vic are the core and none of them are married and they are doing just fine thank you. Chuck, Hammering Hank, Skinny and I are the next wave, the in betweeners so to speak. Married but still looking for a hideaway. Where is Lake Iwanttobethere? I’ll save that for another day.
    • Season has been over for awhile but now I have a couple of Grouse who just strut in my back yard taunting me. Duncan has tried to put the fear into them but no matter how quick he is they are up in the trees before he can get halfway across the yard. He does come back with that stupid lab look on his face so I guess everyone is enjoying themselves here late in the winter. I hope to hear them drumming this spring.
    • cool!!  and thanks again for the info!!  i look forward to getting it.
    •  Used to, then he lost it to Vince and Nick Cage in a Segway race on Tropicana.
    • Your going to like it. Definitely not "the best", but still definitely worth the money. Mine came slight damaged... one of the flanges where the leg attaches to the barrel was bent slightly. It was easily fixed but I decided to contact RK about it... They said to send them pictures, and within 2 days I had a phone call offering either a full exchange or $100 credit to my card. I gladly took the credit. I fired it up around Xmas time in 15-20 degree weather. I was worried how it would do in the cold. It handled it like a champ and only took about 15 min longer to smoke an entire pork loin.
    • Unless you have a source for 14' sheets you would end up with vertical and horizontal seams. No real problem with that, that I can think of. 
    • Speaking of automation     http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/01/health/robot-sex-future-technosexuality/   Ok, which one of you fellas has one    
    • America has a nasty habit of declaring unwinnable wars.
    • I thought he had the 65 Chevy with primered flames  
  • Our Sponsors