• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Computer fan's in fish house..

Kylersk

I took a piece of sheet metal a little bigger than the fan itself, drilled some holes and mounted the fan to the sheet metal, bent a 90 on the sheet metal to wrap around the top pole and drilled a hole in the sheet metal the same diameter as the fan. I filed the edges good and rounded all the corners and added tape to the area that would maybe rub against the fabric. I wired this to the top pole and the wire is just tight enough that you can adjust the fan and it will stay there until you take the house down for the night. You can buy a small piece of sheet metal at most hardware stores. From there all you need is a drill, vise and hole saw. If you don't have a hole saw that big, several smaller holes should work too. If I had a picture of it I would post that for you too see.

Kylersk, I made a 'cage' out of 1/4" mesh hardware cloth so the fan wasn't tight to the ceiling that way it could circulate the warmer air down. I also have a 10 degree angle on them so the warm air flows over my windows and door and keeps them frost free. Each fan is switched seperately so I run the one(s) as needed. The system works well. Phred52

Chaep route - long drywall screws through existing holes in fan shroud into wood pivot arms from wall using wingnut and washer. Round the pivot end of the arm out so it can be flush on the wall. Mount directly over holes to prevent freezup on fridgid nights (easy to push out of way on strike), or mount near ceiling to direct warm air down. Fully adjustable in position and movement friction. Design courtesy of "Blaze", enjoyed by me in previous fish house. Wish I had a pic to share.

Maybe we didn't have large enough ones but we tried wiring in 2 of these fans with switches in our 6' x 12' wheel house and they did not seem to move any air at all. Too bad because they are quiet. I have since wired in a fan that you would buy at a truck stop to mount on the dash of a truck. This works great mounted right above the heater but it is noisy.

3060950047_dbc4faf58b_o.jpg

3061790360_e5a3f33d7f_o.jpg

Not my design, but one I have borrowed. Works great and is as easy as it gets in a portable.

What size fans are everyone using? A friend had a .5 amp fan that would ripple the water in the hole. All I had in the past have been .12 and .25 amp fans. They don't compare very well to that .5 amp fan.

When you are looking for a computer fan make sure to get the 120mm vs the 90mm. The 90 is around 3 1/2" and the 120 about 4 1/4. The bigger fan will move a lot more air with a lot less noise.If you are going to buy brand new you can get them with a adjustable speed control. Tigerdirect or Newegg.

I just screwed them to my ceiling and used some tubing for a spacer between the fan and ceiling. They have been working good for many years now. I have a switch to turn them on and off, but a speed control would be nice somedays.

I have used those metal broom handle holders that people put up in their garage. The are shaped like the letter "C" and they snap right onto the poles on my Yukon. I use them for my LED lights. They fit so perfect that I can direct the light forward or backward as I please.

Duluth, a trip to your local junkyard for a dimmer switch or a heater switch from any auto should do the trick.

You will need more than the heater switch. The auto system also incorporates in a blower motor resistor, separate from the blower motor switch. Although using both together should work.

Took me a while to get my camera into the fish house. Here's my fan mounting method for my portable Voyager. Uses the nylon tie wraps AND nylon cable "loops". I use the loops for a standoff and a tie wrap connection point. Works well. Allows me to swivel the fan to point towards the holes or towards me or towards the windows.....

3075117414_a8695ee69e.jpg

3075117456_9d2b07ace8.jpg

and my switch/battery locations

3075117514_615385196e.jpg

What you can't see is a pair of red/blk alligator clip leads below the seat runner that connect to the battery. Power is routed to the strip of switches, then out to each of 3 light strings and a pair of fans. Seems to work really well so far.

3074280881_6e96cf6f20.jpg

An extreme closeup of the switch panel. The battery sits on a small piece of perforated angle iron bolted to the tub, to keep it up off the floor and out of harms way.

3074324667_10281f79e6.jpg