• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you use to store fishing rods ?

Valv

Question

I know it might be a stupid question, but what can I use to store fishing rods ? I thought at a wall gun rack, so they'll rest orizontally, but distance between racks might interfere with reels.

I guess I could build one, but I am very bad at carpentry work.

Ideas ?

4 answers to this question

I simply took an oak board 3.5" wide and 4' long. I ripped it full length so I had two pieces 1.75" x 4'. I screwed them together at a 90 degree angle to form an "L" shape.
I then cut small slots in it every 6". the slots were made in a "V" shape so they were larger i the front and smaller in the back. I can hang my poles by the tips then. I then fastened it to the wall and it sticks out about 2.25". the only thing I would have done different was make it stick out further. 3.5" would have been better.

Check out the hardware store or a big-box retailer for a broom rack - the kind that friction-fit the handles. Hang it high. Put the rod handles into 'em upside down, and then nail 6" pieces of foam pipe insulation to the wall directly under each rod. Reels can face out, and the foam pipe insulation keeps the guides from rattling together. That's during the season. De-tension the line - as a kid I warped my fiberglass rods badly by storing 'em for the winter in the shed with tensioned line - y'know, bowing the rod. Put a nasty twist in 'em.
I store mine in 3" PVC tubes for the winter, lying flat, indoors. Reels go in an old coffee can with the lid on.

------------------
< )/////><{
RobertC

[This message has been edited by RobertC (edited 10-28-2002).]

Berkley makes a vertical rod holder. I have these mounted in my Ultra Shack and they work great. I have travled thousands of miles with them in the rod rack and had no problem.

I also use these racks in my shop to store the rods in the off season.(I am currently looking at them as I respond)