• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many of you guys use plastic

Huntin&Fishin

I use plastic i would guess 99.9 percent of the time fishing for walleye's.Depending on the time of the year bigger can be better and there are times where i just put a small piece on for color.I also use plastic with live bait with a good deal of luck.As far as the scented plastic i dont use it much i mostly use mister twister and paddle tails or split tails once again i only use these well eye fishing.I have used the minnow style plastic also with some great luck.

I have tried plastic with zero luck.I must be missing something what kinds work the best? Pictures would help greatly. I am not real familiar with names other then mister twister.

i agree, i have no idea howto use plastics on ice. someone care to explain in EXTREME lay-mens terms?

i use plastics 90% of the time and the only time i use minnows is on tip ups and a deadstick with a bobber and plain hook

I just started to get into the plastics the end of 2 seasons ago and i havent looked back! The best i have used is the power wigglers waxies and the power bait tubes little atom nuggies

For panfish I rarely use waxies or eurolarvae; the minnow bucket never gets used. Ratsos and ants make up more than half of my tackle. The chubby darter comes out when both crappies and walleye are present. Fish them with 2# line and without a bobber. A flasher is a must; it will guide your presentation to match the mood of the fish. I personally do not use split shot as the slow descent seems to entice more strikes.

Originally Posted By: fadal
I have tried plastic with zero luck.I must be missing something what kinds work the best? Pictures would help greatly. I am not real familiar with names other then mister twister.

i agree, i have no idea howto use plastics on ice. someone care to explain in EXTREME lay-mens terms?

I would like to know and try this as well. Always thought about it but never did.

My belief after 9 years of using plastics that the most important part of your panfish arsenal is plastic. It all started with Custom Jigs and Spins Finesse plastic tails and a plain lead head 1/32 oz. ball head jig. Since those early days I have used a plethora of plastics with great success but the key to fishing plastics at times is matching the hatch as in trout fishing with your fly box. Get the right plastic, impart the right jigging action and stick to it. Plastics in tourney fishing are very important when you match the hatch, get in your rythym, and are not fumbling for your bait puck. I have expanded my plastics arsenal to include Little Atom and Maki Plastics. Having a variety of plastics in varying styles and colors will keep you prepared for anygiven fishing situation. I raley switch to live bait when fishing for panfish. Try to think like a fish you can get alot of natural movement from a piece of scented plastic and there is no incorrec way to rig it. Experiment, practice, and practice some more because plastics help you get up and down faster and eventually will lead you to higher catch rates. Colors and sizes oh my, manufacturers have answered the call and Maki Plastics will custom make any colors you desire. For the first timer experiment with glow, chartreuse and black. That's what I did so long ago the rest they say is history.

Originally Posted By: PmDavis300
Originally Posted By: fadal

I would like to know and try this as well. Always thought about it but never did.

Okay guys, here is the deal. If you are just getting into plastics the best way to do it is not on an off day, but rather when the fish are really going on live bait, switch a line over to plastic but keep your bobber rod or dead stick going with a minnow or what have you. Use plastic on your jigging rod and work it, you must impart the action to the bait. Put a plastic trailer on your jig and work it in the hole to figure out your rhythm, then drop it down and work it for the fish.

As for bait choices, there are tons out there. CNY mentioned a couple of the originators in the ice plastics world, but others make some good stuff too. Check out the Berkley Power Minnows in 2" and 1 1/2" sizes. Also you must take a look at the entire line-up of Little Atom plastics. The Nuggie is one of the best plastics I have ever seen for ice fishing, put it on your hook and try to hold it still. I have caught walleye, bass, crappies, bluegills, pike, perch and even tulibee on plastic baits. They are definitely worth a try, but be smart about it. You need to build up your confidence with them. Once you build up that confidence level, you will pass right on by the bait shop on your way to the lake cause your bait is on the rod before you leave the house.

One of the most important parts of fishing plastic in my opinion is always get the plastic on the hook straight. Don't just toss it on and say good enough. You get better action if the plastic is threaded on the hook properly.

I agree with most everything said. I started out 2 years ago using the ratso and shrimpo jigs and plastic. I did as good as my buddy who doesn't use it. Last year I bought a few packs of the nuggies, WOW. It is always nice to try plastics when you are with a buddy using live bait. Then you can tell quickly is the fish are not on, or if your plastics are not working how you want.

Go to the ice fishing today HSOforum - they have a video demo on fishing plastics. Look under Schooling Crappies + Web Extras tab. It is a decent intro to using plastics. There are a lot of different ways to use them, ya have to experiment based on the mood of the fish being targeted. Having a Flasher and/or underwater camera will help you understand what is working and what is not. Getting them interested is usually not the hard part, it is getting them to bite that is the biggest trick.

Big problem people can have is the jig spinning - often times this is a big cause for lookers not turning into biters. Spinning can often be caused by line twisting on the drop or while jigging. If you think you are having this problem, Can reduce its affects by keeping your jig moving (usually down to a "quiver" if they are sniffing).

I use plastics often but I usually add waxies or larva for smell & taste. That being said, I am not the kind of guy that likes to sit there constantly jig all day. If I see something on the vex I'll jig until I catch one or it goes away. But if there isn't anything going on I'll sit and watch my bobber. I like to use bobbers because I'm known to consume some beverages, listen to the radio, and yak with my fishing buds.