• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

winterizing work boots

Shawnny B

Question

So, with our Beatiful Minnesota Winter here, soon we will have the wet stuff on the ground and will need to "winterize/Waterproof" my work boots. I have Redwing Boots and in the past i have used minks oil?, or something similar to that. Does anyone else use anything other than that that they dont have to CONSTANTLY apply every few months, to keep the water out of their boots?

Thanks

Shawn

6 answers to this question

I will second Sno-seal. I would put it my Icemans with a rag and put on a good coating and extra around the seams and next to the sole and then I would use a hair dryer to heat it up and melt it into the leather and seams. The leather never leaked but due to really old age ( 20+ ) they are now officially retired.

I would love to get New winter work boots, but with the requirements for work, its kind of tuff to get the right ones, has to have 1 inch heel, 90 degree bend between the sole and heel, steel shank, steel toe, and those are just the ones that I remember.

So, sno-seal and a blowdryer, sounds like a winning combonation, Ill give it a shot this weekend and hope that it helps, I tend to go threw a pair of work boots in about a year and a half to two years, I work 4 10's but have the boots on for close to 14 hours a day, that and all the up/down crawling ect with work, they get scuffed up real bad. We cannot have any of the steel toe showing for work.

Shawn

Quote:
I work 4 10's but have the boots on for close to 14 hours a day

Wearing your boots for that long of a period and not letting them dry out will shorten the overall life of the boot. You might want to get one of those Peet dryers just to make sure that they are good a dry at the start of the day.