• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We got him

Thanks for all nice the nice comments I will pass them on to my bro. We do practice very strict management. Our main strategy is to get a ton of pics in late Summer early Fall of deer over apple or corn piles. We then have an idea of which deer we believe to be "shooters". We shut down te bait piles by early Oct because I believe bait piles make them nocturnal. Originally we thought this deer was 4.5 in the trail cam pics but I do believe he is 3.5. Age is the single most important factor in growing big bucks. Nutrition and genetics are nice but a world record genetic buck at 1.5 years old and perfect year round nutrition ain't gonna be much. We strictly will not shoot a 3.5 year old, this rule may have been broken but there was no way to know this until you have your hands around him. We also hunt in a very good area with decent neighbors. Buffalo Co WI to be exact BUT we know for a fact they shoot 3.5ers whuch sucks but whatever. We both passed a 3.5 10 pt 140 class buck 20 minutes before he shot this one only to hear him get shot 30 mins later. We then seen him getting dragged out so we knew. We do know of 6 other 3.5ers that we don't believe are dead. Our cameras are back out to see what we are working with next year. Sorry for the long post I just want to educate if I can, plus other than my family this is what I live for.

Deer don't get that big in Buffalo Co, where did you really shoot it wink That pencil reed looking vegetation in the photo was common where I used to hunt down there. I'll guess he was hunting up high near a steep bluff top?

Sounds like you guys have some great hunting in your future, congrats again!