• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant trip with most of the corn down...

Yesterday was the first hunting trip with about 75% percent of the corn down. The weather was great with temps in the mid 30's and a nice light wind. We spent the majority of the day focusing on the cattails/swamps and ditches that were surrounded by picked corn fields. The pheasants were there and holding very tight for the dogs. Even the mature roosters were acting like they hadn't been hunted this year. (very similar to opening weekend birds) Every field we hunted held a few pheasants, but they still seem pretty spread out. The hen numbers seemed really low, we only put up 5 hens compared to about 20 roosters. There still is a lot of cover left but usually we see way more hens than roosters. ( I am not complianing I just think it was weird)

IMG_0727.jpg

wow i wish i could say a similar thing about the roosters to hen ratio..we saw around 75 birds sunday and probably 10 were rooties. i guess its good to have lots of hens but just disappointing when you walk all day and cant shoot anything..did end up with 3 though.

I got out Wednesday and Saturday and the results were much different. Lots of hens and a few roosters. Enough roosters each day to produce a limit......if I could shoot. Got 1 on Wednesday and 1 on Saturday. Fun to watch the dog work and pin a bird down in the cattails, even if they mostly hens. He had some nice work on Saturday where he catch a rooster doubling back and got him pinned down. At least I hit that one after his nice work. Nice with the corn out and the cattails getting solid.

I didn't get my invite 2thepoint. I must have missed that call! Just kidding, nice job redemption is sweet! Went out to chase grouse yesterday....They are still there, need to get out soon....put up over a dozen birds in just a few hrs. Keep in touch...uplander

It is nice that the water is freezing in the cattaile. Out with my son last Wednesday and we ended up with 3. Missed two that we probably shoud have had but that's the way it sometimes goes. Did see quite a few roosters.

Out again this afternoon by myself and basically stayed in the cattails and did get two birds in two hours of hunting. Did see a few more that flew pretty wild out in front of my dog.

Sure was a nice day with temps in the low 30's and light wind.

Hope to get out again on Thursday morning and then we will be in SODAK on Monday.. Should be really good out there with most of the corn now in.

The season is sure moving by fast!!!

I took my lab and went for a solo hunt southwest of Sauk Centre last Saturday and I thought it was the deer opener. I couldn't believe all of the trucks with blaze orange occupants driving around or parked at the public land. Plus, I didn't see many roosters, mostly hens. I guess I'll have to take a vacation day and hunt during the week if I'm going to hunt public land, at least in that area.

The good news was that most of the corn was out.

Nels