• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long not to wait to take out boat lift

foo

This is my buddies lift on Sat Nov 22.....Honestly, what is wrong with this kid...5 hours and a lot of hard work it is on shore, undamaged. There was definately some cussing...It looks like there is some open water around it but, I assure there was none. If you squint real hard however, you can see open water about 350 yards offshore so, technically, I figured it belonged in the open water forum.

dumb2.jpg

I love the fact that you kept his identity "anonymous" with the white censor strip. If it was me I know I'd ask to remain anonymous. What friends this guy has! smile

Yeah, I wanted to leave him with a shred on diginity---his car broke down on the way back to the cities last night to boot----darn city slickers

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_guy
Could he have just left it in? Marked it good and all...

I'll bet ice heaving would have destroyed it.

When i first saw it---I thought it was in for good (I still can't believe we got it). The picture doesn't even do it justice. It must have froze during heavy winds because it was just encased in frozen waves and ice (which also made very hard to move around on slippery slopes).

Even with it marked-there is always the worry that on a snowy day a snowmobile would smack it and, it would be for such a dumb reason that it would happen.

The guy two cabins down from us sold his place before last year, boat lift and dock included. The guys who bought the place must have never had lakefront property before, as the pulled them out of the water but left them very close to the water level before closing down for the winter. Next spring their beach are was a heap of twisted metal buried in the sand.

Well I can say you weren't alone last weekend chiseling out a lift, I was at the lake and heard what I thought was an auger or chainsaw out on the lake, looked down the shore and low and behold there was the whole dock frozen in, i just thought hmm there having a fun day, looks like they got it out eventually though, we had ours freeze in one year in early October and know it's out by Oct 1st every year, the lake froze early that year and then opened back up, problem was the when the lake started to open back up the ice from shore went out like it normally does in the spring taking the dock for a ride, had to call a wrecker and paddle a canoe out about 80 yards to hook it up and winch it back, not a fun day.

Yes---exactly. I was thinking about that as I was pounding the ice with a sledgehammer for the 100th time and, about how this was water 5 days earlier. It was so unneccessary. Hopefully, it is a lesson learned to him or he is going to get alot of answering machines next Nov.