• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas Pump Etiquette

hanson

Question of the Day?

Is it OK to park at the gas pump if you are not pumping gas?

I'm seeing this more and more and it is really ticking me off, especially when I'm pulling a trailer and I need room to fill up without blocking the traffic pattern. There are general parking spots at all gas stations, use them if you are not pumping gas.

Is this just a Twin Cities thing? Does it happen outstate as well?

Couple years ago I would see it every once in awhile, now I see it daily.

Am I in the wrong for thinking this way?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO I think you need to calm down and worry a bit more about things we should worry about. I am sure there are extenuating circumstances...for instance maybe they are pre-paying which they would need to park there and go in and pay. Maybe they aren't paying at the pump and they are going inside to pay after the fact. I think back a few years before the "pay at the pump" and there were always cars and trucks parked at the pumps. Just calm down, slow down and be happy :-)

I would have to concur with Fishinlocal. How do you know that they have not gotten or are about to get gas? Just because the hose is not in the tank at the time that you see it does not mean they are not getting gas. Many more important things to worry about in life than that. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

i can burn E85 in my Yukon XL so I don't feel I'm blocking anyone else if I do leave my truck to go inside and pay. There are more vehicles using unleaded than the flex E85. However I will usually fill 'er up and then drive up to a parking spot next to the building and go inside. So far I haven't been charged with trying to drive off. LOL To leave the vehicle sit so you can go inside and get your morning cafiene fix though is inconsiderate, especially if the guy/gal behind you is waiting to pull in with 17 ft of trailer behind them. Other than that life is good. Bill

I am seeing more of that too, but I usually fuel up during off peak hours so it has not bugged me too much.

What I cant understand is why some stations put their diesel pumps in the middle, with a gas pump forward and behind. It can be a pain to shoehorn a quad cab long bed in there when both gas pumps are in use. Pulling a trailer, forget it. That's when I'll hit a truck stop.

I guess I've never noticed it as I usually go during off-peak hours. I park at the pump from time to time with my boat as there really is no other option for parking at a few of the places I go. However, if I was pulling up with my boat and saw someone pull up and park at the pump to go into pick up a pizza or something....then I'd be upset.

I see it alot more in St. Paul these days. For some reason it seemed to start about a year or two ago.

Sometimes you can't tell if they just went in to prepay but sometimes it is very clear they are just parking there. Like when their gas tank is on the opposite side as the pump.

I have been filling up my car numerous times and had people pull up at a pump leave their car running and go in to buy whatever.

Normally it doesn't bother me too much when people do this, i do see it as inconsiderate but its not normally worthy getting to upset over. Normally I don't know the person pulled in to just park unless I am already at a fuel pump filling up. If I were to drive up to look for a spot I probably wouldn't think to much of cars being next to the pump since I don't know if they were in paying for their fuel or just parking.

When I going fishing (mostly Pool 2 and MN river during the summer), I get gas for the boat on my way down, in Rogers. They have nice big truck stop type gas stations. I really never have a concern down their.

Now, in the AM while heading to work, sometimes I will forget to get gas on the way home, so I will have to stop at the SA in Zimmerman. That gas station is set up terrible and with way to few pumps. I will be driving around, looking for a pump opening and see someone go inside to pay. Wait behind them for over 5 minutes, while watching others come and go. The parking lot is so terrible, by the time I reverse and go to another open pump, someone has taken it and then someone gets my place back in at the other pump crazy.

I love it when they come out after 5-10 minutes with a Latté, donuts and on the cell phone grin.

Now this gas station is the extreme case, but if I want some morning goodies in a crazy am gas station like this, I pay at the pump and pull up by door and go inside. That or go in, pay for gas (grab something very quick) and go. Or sometimes if there is lines at the coffee station inside, I pay for my gas and go back out, move my car and go back in for my morning goods.

I have parked at a pump then gone in. Often times it is when the regular lot is full.

If I do not pay at the pump, or if I need something inside and choose not to pay at the pump, I will leave the truck there to go in. I am a customer too, it might not always be about me, but it is not always about you either.

I agree with fishinlocal. you need to calm down and worry about things that really matter in life. Just be patient and get your gas when a spot opens up. This is what is wrong with people these days. They worry about what others are doing way too much. People should worry more about themselfs, relax and enjoy life

If your not getting gas park in a parking space. I saw a guy do this today. He blocked a pump, went in took a [PoorWordUsage], got some beer and a pack of smokes and then took his time getting out to his car. Funny thing is the parking spots that were open were right in front of the door.

I tend to lean towards the no its not ok to park at the pump thought, and a big pet peeve of mine is people who leave the car sit at the pump when they go in and pay, especially when the pumps are busy but there is parking areas. Some people are just ignorant and that won't change.

As far as you being a customer and can park where ever you want well I'm sure the gas station would rather have you pumping gas in that area than parking.

You can all thank wild overspeculation and high gas prices and laissez faire policies that allow it. People became unsecure about driving off about a year ago, along with poed about paying 65 bucks to fill a 14 gallon tank. I was in Fargo last summer driving through and they had a girl on the outside writing plate numbers down all day. What was interesting was she came running in when I went inside and turned in some green pickup license plate to call the cops on...

Its a free country, so people are free to be rude.

At the same time, I'd recommend a good horn blast for anyone that gets done filling and walks away. Stay in the car, though. The horn blow is free, getting out and taking someone on who just paid 65 bucks for squat is expensive.

By the way, the argument that we are at peak oil so gas prices are always going to be high now, well, that sure went to k..l didn't it?

Fishermen ought to revolt about the price at the pump, not the other people there dawdling.

I've seen a sign stating "Don't move your vehicle before paying" at quite a few stations. I usually pay at the pump, but I have gone in without moving to pay if I need to pick up anything else.

If you park at the pump the cashiers should be looking at you the whole time to see if your gonna drive off. If you are not pumping they are wasting their time on you and not paying as much time as they should watching people who are pumping gas(which could cause drive offs.)

Its a pain for the people working at the gas station and it is a pain in the butt for people who want to pay for gas.