• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to check to see if a gun is stolen?

A causal friend of mine offered to sell me one of his shotguns - supposedly he needs the money for the holidays. When I asked him if he bought it new, he said that he bought it from a friend a few years ago.

How do I check to make sure that gun is not hot/stolen? Is there a HSOforum where I could enter the serial number to check?

As long as I'm on the subject, what kind of paperwork should a person have for his guns? Most of my guns were bought years ago, and I don't have any 'proof of ownership'. Even the new 1100 that I bought from a gunshop about 10 years ago, I don't have any paperwork on it, unless I tossed it. What should a person do when they sell (or buy) a gun?

Get the serial number off of it and go to the Court House or the Police Dept. Buddy of mine just had a rifle stolen out of his truck opening weekend and the police have a national database. If that is not an option call the Sheriff's Dept and they should help you out or know where to send you.

So if you find out it's is stolen are you going to turn him in?

Ferny

I would give him the option to turn the gun in himself first.

I mean if he bought it unknowingly hot, he surely wouldn't want it in his possesion any longer would he...?

just check it out.

I'm sure all is cool.

score your self a nice weapon.

always nice to buy another gun!

You should contact your local LE agency and ask for the records dept.

They will run the nubmers and let you know.

If it comes back as stolen you may get a visit from your local leo's.

We did this on a weapon a few years back and was able to locate the owner in Seattle from whom the weapon was stolen 25 years ago.

In regards to your weapons at home keep a record of the serial numbers, make, model, any modifications, scope, make, model, and keep updated photographs. If something would happen to them submit it to your homeowners inusrance or buy separate firearms insurance.

So if you find out it's is stolen are you going to turn him in?

Ferny

Lets not jump to conclusions here, I have no idea what the status of this gun is. I just don't want to put out my hard earned cash for a gun that may have to be turned in, and I don't want to reward anyone's illegal behavior.

You have brought up some ramification that I hadn't thought of, I'll probably make HIM prove its not stolen by making the call. I'd rather pay more for a gun at a gunshop than buy an unproven gun, and by making HIM make the call, I don't get put in the position of ratting him out. Nothing worse than a rat.

It is a felony to receive, possesse, transfer, buy or conceal any stolen firearm. It is no insult to anyone to ask for the information so you can make a check to assure that it isn't stolen.

Some firearm dealers will process a private transfer for $20-30. That will pretty much require that things be on the up and up. That's a cheap price to pay.

A friend bought a gun from a guy a while back. The friend then lent it to his son-in-law who got stopped for a traffic violation in Iowa. Long story short the son-in-law got arrested and thrown in jail. My friend had to go down there and do a lot of explaining to get the kid out. Needless to say the gun was confiscated.

Who said anything about the serial numbers being gone????!!! Where did that come from??

I told the guy to call the local cops and prove to me that its not hot, and bring me written proof.

In the meantime, I went to a local gun shop and looked at new guns and used guns, trying to get a handle on prices. One of the new Brownings caught my eye, this whole discussion may be mute because I think thats what I'm going to end up buying.