• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Life passed me by.. Or at least new engines.. LOL

Deitz Dittrich

So, the other day I stopped and picked up a 12 pack of beverages, set up the heater in the garage and set to winterizing the boat. For those who have kept up with me, I got a new ride in July. A BassCat Puma with a Merc 250 Opti XS Racing Eng.. For the last 15 years I have owned a boat, I have always done the winterizing. It started with a 35 horse Force, then a Merc 175, Then a Jonson 150... Life was always good. Took me about an hour maybe a little more, probably a little less..

So, cracked my first cold one, grabbed my lower unit pump, grabbed a regular screw driver, tilted the motor down.. AND... scratched my head.. There was no lower drain plug.?.?. I found the top plug, but no lower one?.. No big deal, the manual is in the house, sip of beer, I'll take the engine cover off, and fog the motor. Motor cover off, HOLY YOWZERS, look at all the pretty wires!!!! For the love of everything, where the BLEEP are the spark plugs? Scratch head, sip beer... look for lower unit drain hole again, look for spark plugs again... Sip beer, Look for Frakies Marine Phone number in phone book.. Back up truck, hook boat to truck.. Pull to Frankies!!!

THATS HOW YOU WINTERIZE NOW I GUESS...

I feel so dirty!

Deitz,

Could you help me with my 95 merc 40? wink

Bet you didn't open the manual either?

WW

PS I'll bet you'll be reading the manual soon enough. smile

PPS We did find a few walleye's on Vermilion but no smallie's the bite was tough the end of July.

Gotta love how complicated these things have become. My 5 year old could have figured out where the spark plugs were on my 1984 Evinrude 90.

I had the same problem with my '08 Yamaha 75 (and probably only 1/2 as complicated as Deitz's beast of an engine). I looked for a good 2 or three minutes and finally realized they were hiding underneath a plastic shroud. Of course we want to first remove 8 screws to get to the spark plugs!

Also loved the fact that a standard gear oil pump does not fit a yamaha lower unit. You need to get a Yamaha adapter. Of Course!

I remain determined not to pay the $200 the dealer charges for $50 worth of materials and an hour of my time. $150 buys a lot of beer...

The only thing you did wrong was not spending more time in the man cave drinking beer. You at least could have finished that beer grabbed another and sipped on it as you pulled the prop to check for fishing line.

I don't blame you at all for taking it in. I heard all the horror stories about pulling plugs on Optimax motors. After buying mine the first thing I did was pull off the cowl. Oh my! You have a hard time even seeing some of the plugs. Now the only work I do is changing the lower unit lube and compressor filter.

Wait a second here, back this thread up to the begining. You have a heated garage, your boat is in it and you only had a 12 pack and you where alone? This is exactly where things started going wrong. If you check the fine print in the man book it clearly states this is a two man job and the wife must be out of town.

Wait a second here, back this thread up to the begining. You have a heated garage, your boat is in it and you only had a 12 pack and you where alone? This is exactly where things started going wrong. If you check the fine print in the man book it clearly states this is a two man job and the wife must be out of town.

I must have an outdated man book, mine calls for 3 guys, the third just stands there while the other two do the work usually reserved for the nosey neighbor you never talk to.

Dude, get the updated version. I believe it's Rev # MB-10W40.

It clearly states that the nosey neighbor does not have to be allowed in the garage during quality time with the fellas, unless he brings enough beer for eveyone and some left over.

Man, I have to get the newer book too, mine has nothing about the nosey neighbor. grin

Boy, do we need some ice.