• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Want and waste!!!!

What to do?? I have a family hunting cabin in northern MN and recently found a dead deer on county land in which my neighbors hunt only on opening weekend. The deer was perfect lung shot and less than 30 yards away from the deer stand in which it was persumably shot and they only had used. You could see the belly of the 120-140lb doe from the stand and blood spray clearly from the stand even after 1 week of snow rain mix. In my mind you would have to be blind to miss it. To top it off there was another gut pile within 15 feet of the doe. To give you a backround we dont get along with the neighbor, because he rents out his cabin to about 8 guys that clearly are reckless and he takes no responsability for them he just calls them city folk. What do you think would cause them to do this?? We called TIP and they pretty much shrugged it off. Would you confront them? and how? Best regards.

That is really sad to hear........

Personally, I would make sure that the local CO is fully briefed on the situation at hand and make sure that he will stop by and have a check and chat with the hunting party when they are up there. My guess would be that if they are that reckless, he might be able to find some violations that will correct their problems with a quickness!

Let the CO know as mentioned. Could they have run out of tags? Not an excuse, but possibly a reason for their stupidity.

Did you take any pictures? I would send your neighbors a "picture present" each season. That's terrible.

Thanks again. This same group placed a stand on our property within 6ft of a posted sign and fence with the posted sign facing away from the stand clearly showing it was our property. Last time I talked with the owner he said what am I supposed to do I have 8 guys here at camp hunting on 20 acres. I wanted to put that doe in the out house holding a newspaper, but then figured that would have pushed the limit. It still baffles me on why they left it and if they have 8 guys there you would think they could have tracked it within 30 yards of the stand and yes they had more then enough tags I think they only got 2 deer that they taged. I thought that maybe they shot it just before they left. Even though I dont particularly care for them I still would have been more than happy to help track it. Yes I took pictures if I can figure out how to load them on here I will. Some people dont have respect.

Lure, thats the problem, DONT try to figure out why they did it, they are a differnt type of "sportsman" Also, dont confront them, let the CO handle this, if nothing else buy an outdoor news or the likes of that and look at the back where they post what all the CO's are doing and you should be able to get a local CO's name.

Good luck

They own 20 and hunt state surrounding it and that is why they started pushing into our land. On one opening day we had one of them walk through the middle of our 40 acrs lost with no idea of where he was at or even what road his camp was on. Pretty sad.

I would say let the CO know about it but as you saw nothing will happen. I guess if you look at it in the laws eyes you found this deer dead a week after you thought it was shot. I guess if im a CO i look at it as a week later wouldnt the yotes have picked that thing apart pretty well? Plus you didnt see them do it and neither did the CO so its hard to prove anything. I would love to see people like that get caught but the thing is its hard to prove things so nothing ever gets done.

mrklean is dead on, there is no real evidence these guys did it, just a lot of assumptions. It could have been poached at any time by any trespasser who knows? Nothing will come of this, but the CO will most likely be glad to know he has a renegade group out there that he can watch out for.

Sounds like they shot the buck that came in after the doe was already dropped and they left the doe. I'd take a chian saw and cut the tree down while there in the stand next year, of course with a mask on.

If I were you I'd post the land tighter than normal and if you have to talk to these people say just for safety reasons and that you bought your land to have as undisturbed of a hunt as you can get. I have lots of the same issues going on and these guys have 1,000 private acres to hunt, they realize my land always seems to hold mature bucks as they are aware of the 21 bucks I've taken off the same stand, if my truck isn't there they drive my land out about every other day unless I'm around. The boot tracks in mud or snow don't lie and only 1 group can access my land. For the doe it's about the saddest story there is and maybe because of my empathy for the deer, maybe that's what they lack, an appreciation for being able to take our states most highly sought after animal. They must still be into the shooting phase, shoot,shoot shoot, is what they equate deer hunting to with little respect to the animals, deer hunting to them is just a weeklong event once a year, I feel for you having that circus to look, actually not look forward to each season.

Thanks on the chainsaw thing, Actually I just heard it from another hunter this past weekend. There's a 40-acre parcel accross from our land that's county public land and one of the guys I was talking too said He reported to the DNR of a permanant built stand in there two years ago and it's still there and the guy hunting in it is the same guy as last year and it's wrecking his hunt back there so he says. He said he's put two calls a day in to the the CO in the area, most times leaving messages of course, but he's yet to see a DNR person out there in two years now to do anything about it and he also discovered a very large corn bait pile with an actual feeder next to somebody elses stad next door on private land just adjacent that he's reported in to the DNR too, So he goes off saying "come muzzy" season in a few weeks if that stand is still up and that hunter is in it and the DNR hasn't done anything about this yet or the bait pile he's bringing out his chainsaw and cutting the tree's down hunter in it or not.