• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humming Bird ICE reviews

JSK76

I had an ICE 55 for one day of fishing and the target separation was 3" measured with a tape. I use a chubby darter with 3 split shots above it. Started at it's claimed 1/2 and worked up (measured from top of the darter to bottom of 1st split shot). tried zoom on and off and each beam size. My LX-3 was at the very least twice as good at separation in the same hole, on at the same time. I would get separation in non zoom with the LX and just a solid thick line in zoom with the 55 and yes I did adjust the gain on the 55 from 1 all the way to 25.

I loved the big bright screen and the color but I just couldn't stand that the LX-3 was better at separation so I returned the ICE 55 the next day and bought the LX-5. The LX-5 is great with separation but I really liked the screen size and 6 color on the ICE-55 it's just flat out beautiful at night. Even with the separation issue it was hard to bring the flasher back and I kinda miss it. I think if you never used a Marcum flasher or target separation was not important to you, you would Love the 55.

I've said it a couple times on here already, but I think it's important for people to know who are making such a large purchase.

I used a 45 over the weekend and had difficult times picking up a size 10 ratso in 12 ft. of water. From what I've heard, this is not normal. I didn't check the separation like JSK76 did, but I know it's not anywhere near the advertised 1/2". It does have a lot of nice features like the large screen, backlit LCD, battery indicator, adjustable zoom, and dual cone, but overall I was expecting more as far as performance goes. Maxing out the gain in shallow water shouldn't be happening on a machine with so much power. I will probably give it another chance, but if it doesn't get better I'll be returning for a Vex or MarCum.

I think if you never used a Marcum flasher or target separation was not important to you, you would Love the 55.

The Super Fineline Feature makes the LX-5 the only unit on the market that can achieve ¾ inch target separation throughout the entire water column. Even if you only plan on using the Zoom on the bottom it is nice to have the flexibility to move it anywhere in the water column and there is a big difference in how each brand’s zoom functions work. The Zoom on a MarCum uses an optical zoom. It actually increases the target separation to less that 3/4 of an inch. On a Vex, they use a digital zoom that just blows up the already 2.65" target separation onto the opposite side of the screen.

Sorry to hear about your bird. One thing we know is that they all have bugs particularly first production run's. Will have to see how HBird's CS holds up.. One question was the 6 color feature pleasing to the eye?

CNY Tim is not out of line. He is merely stating the facts. I have been excited about the ICE 55 also but after reading numerous message board reviews on them I will be upgrading to the new LX5. I hope you guys will post your reviews on the Birds you buy.

I'd like to thank all the guys for the information, at Gander most of us had never seen these units before, let alone use them, so consumer reports like these are REALLY helpful! Could someone give some results besides the separation issue? Maybe how it was at picking up fish compared to your lure, battery life, the ability to see the screen in the sun, stuff like that? Thanks guys!

I have a Ice 35 and just went out last night for the first time and loved it. I could even tell after I missed a fish if the waxie was still on the hook or not. Hows that for target separation! I fished 4 hours and the bat. gauge only went from full to about 7/8. I had my king dong led lights hooked up to a separate small old m/c bat. so the next time I go out I will try to hook them up to the locator bat. and see how much that drains it.

I used mine one day for about 2 hours with the LCD backlit display on and it drained down to about 60 percent in that time period, which was not very impressive to me. I also used it for the same amount of time with the display lighting turned off and it only dropped about 10 percent of the battery, which seemed a lot better.

I could even tell after I missed a fish if the waxie was still on the hook or not. Hows that for target separation!

could you see a gap of black sreen between the hook and waxie or just tell by the size of the mark on the flasher?

I have put in about fifteen hours on my ICE 35. I have fished from four feet on the backwaters to about twelve feet at a local reservoir here in Rochester. I used the wide beam in the shallow water and was very impressed. (definitely helped me slay the gills) Now in the deeper water I switched it to the narrow beam and I too could see the diference when my waxie was on or off, and yes there is a small black line between the jig and waxie when the gain is set just right. Battery life so far seems more than adequate. I am very impressed with the performance of this unit, but I have more to learn, as I still have'nt quite grasped the zoom feature. I am hoping this coming up weekend to be able to get out into some deeper water (maybe like 20-30 feet) and figure to learn the zoom better then. I do think the thing is a little noisy, and have an E-mail into the humminbird rep. I will report more as I learn more. I forgot to add that I love the screen. Very readable outside, even at an angle, or from quite a distance!

Are they noisier on the ice than inside at home?

I looked at a HB Ice45 at the store tonight. They had it set up next to a LX-5 and a FL-20. There was some background noise, but it seemed like all 3 seemed about equally noisy/quiet. The HB was definitely quieter than my FL-18. Maybe things change out on the lake, in the cold.

Thanks for posting info about the Ice35.

Only annoying noise that I've heard from my 45 is when it rattles on uneven ice chunks. It would be the same as any other flasher and I hope to fix it soon with a small table to get it off the ice.

I had problems getting use to the zoom at first, not at all like my Marcum. it just zooms whats between the white lines, no splitting of the screen. It's like holding a magnifying glass over the selected area. It so simple, thats is easily over looked. I can see where in deep water it would be easier to figure out for the first time.

Are they noisier on the ice than inside at home?

I looked at a HB Ice45 at the store tonight. They had it set up next to a LX-5 and a FL-20. There was some background noise, but it seemed like all 3 seemed about equally noisy/quiet. The HB was definitely quieter than my FL-18. Maybe things change out on the lake, in the cold.

Thanks for posting info about the Ice35.

mine was louder then my LX-5 more like my old LX-3 but it didn't bother me. also seemed to have a slight vibration. at G.M the 35 was louder then the 45 and the 45 was louder then the 55.

Hmmm, seems like maybe some quality issues if some work great and some dont......

I think it's too early to say there are quality issues. There's another threaad going right now about the HB ice flashers, and in those posts the guys with the HBs seem real happy with their performance after they got the transducer squared away (ie. got rid of the support cable that was screwing up the transducer from hanging level in the hole).

As I stated in an earlier post, I e-mailed Humminbird yesterday about what I think is an abnormal noise concern. Well, this is the rest of the corespondance,

Mr. Stevens,

It has been noted that you had contacted Joby with Humminbird regarding the ICE35 flasher that is not operating correctly at all times. What you have described should not be happening and there have not been any noted issues with the systems. From what you have documented regarding the system not operating we will need to send a replacement ICE35 display to you. Also, a return shipping label will be mailed separately to you to return the ICE 35 that is not functioning properly at this time. Please supply your address to receive the ICE35 and shipping label from Humminbird with reply to this email inquiry. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jennifer Trammell

Humminbird CRC Representative

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wed 12/3/2008 10:46 AM

To: cservice

Subject: RE: Humminbird ICE 35

Jennifer, Thank you for the very timely response, this is the type of customer service I expected from your company.

The address you can use is as follows;

Nissan of Rochester

4642 HWY 52 N

Rochester, MN 55904

Co Tim Stevens

Again thank you for this quick action and I will be sure to let others know that Humminbird does indeed stand behind their product!

Tim Stevens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Stevens,

Thank you for the information. The order has been placed to ship an ICE35 flasher control head to you to the address in below correspondence. Confirmation number for the order is 2544221 SM. The shipping label is also being mailed to the same address for you to return the non-functioning ICE35 control head back to Humminbird. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jennifer-CRC

We will see how fast the new head unit takes, but this in my mind is super fast customer service!

I used their customer support off the HSOforum to see what I needed to do to get a battery charger replaced for a ICE 55 on Monday and still haven’t heard back from them. I am going to the Ice fishing show Friday and if I can’t find out anything it’s going back and I’ll buy something else.

You want to talk about service. It was hard beat the old Marcum. They would fix it while you waited and hand back to you and say “good luck fishing” and not charge you anything. That’s hard to beat. Now the new Marcum wants to you to pay up front for them even to look at it.