Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aquafang

cold weather reel grease.....

13 posts in this topic

well, evidentally there are no experts on this because I have not had any responses on this subject on the "expert/information" Forum. So, I"m gonna try it here.

I have some stuff called hot juice I want to try in my reels so they aren't stiff in the cold. What's the eaisiest way to clean the old stuff out of the reels? choke cleaner spray??? Any ideas?

good ol rag and carb or brake cleaner works great. should do the trick for you. or else a parts washer if you have one of them.

Carb cleaner is hard on plastic and rubber. Maybe contact cleaner or WD40 to clean. You will want to see what the freezing point of the hot sauce or whatever you are using is. Make sure it is rated for sub zero weather.

WD40 is hard on rubber , I boiled some water and pour it over the gears to rinse the old sludge out....Couple drops of Hot Sauce and your golden.

I dont know if it will we allowed or not, but threw another fishing magazine, I was sent a product to test, and I tested it on my Ice reels last year. THe stuff was amazing, it made my cheap reels real freely and it made my expensive ones even smoother. Its a "dry" lubricant that is applied with a liquid applicator. I dont know where you can find it localy, but you should be able to get it quickly if you order it online. The stuff is called Xtreme Reel +. If you Gooogle it you sould be able to find it.

Hope it helps and works for you.

ShawnnYB

I bought a huge bottle of this stuff called XTreme Reel + about 3 years ago.. I have treated about 30 of my summer reels with the stuff, and probably 15 ice reels, and still have a half bottle left.. The stuff is magic. Cant explain it.. Its crazy.. not even sure if its still being made.. So I aint sharing it with nobody!

Thats makes me feel good about mentioning that stuff, a pro like DD says its great it must be =-)

and NAF_ just has been hypin it up and you can find that stuff all over the net.

ShawnnyB

g96 baby, -50 degrees to 500 degrees un stoppable I use it on ne thing that swivels or squeeks trust me it works

Okay I got around to the Xtreme Reel+ and it works very well for getting ball bearings running and even for handles that just have bushings. About the worst thing about thise stuff is the bottle with it's horrible applicator nozzle. I get the lubricant all over everything else before I can even hit my target. Granted applying to handles is easy but trying to get to a ball bearing in the reel is almost like a surgical procedure.

I've been cleaning the grease out of my reels and using Hot Sauce and have been very happy with that. But I'm interested in trying the Xtreme Reel + stuff.

Did you find the Xtreme Reel in stores or order it online? I found the HSOforum so I might have to order some from there.

Nate