Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wasssit

what would be easier to make holes?

22 posts in this topic

With first ice, would it be better to bring an ice chipper or bring out your power auger, to make holes? Or both?

Depends, If you are walking out and have to carry stuff.. Chipper is easier to carry, or hand auger.. But if you can just throw stuff in a sled.. Im all about more power!!!!

I bought a hand auger for 1st ice. I use it until the ice is in the 10" range.

for first ice i would go with the chipper. Seeing as it is first ice and may not be thick you will save weight by using the chipper over the auger.

If it's only a few inches I go with the chipper. Once it gets to about five inches I switch to the hand auger until it gets to about 8 to 10 inches. Then bring on the power.

Hand auger is alot easier if the blades are sharp, plus it makes clean cut holes

i've never even though about using a power auger... i use my hand auger all winter.

I always bring the Nils no matter how thick. I feel that the pounding on the ice MIGHT have some affect. I have never attached the hand auger part and I am sure it would be easy but pull starting the Nils is not that tough and 15 to 20 holes later I am fishing.

I use my Nils power auger almost all the time. I do have the handle for it but I have never used it yet.

I like the power aguer. When the ice is thin I don't like all the cracking with the chipper. Just makes me feel safer.

Something about wacking away at 3 inches of ice ,makes me nervous. I use a hand auger.

I use a hand auger until there's 12 inches of ice, but my power auger is a big heavy one. I'm thinking hard about getting a lighter auger like a Nils this year, with something like that I would start using the power auger much earlier

If it's only a few inches I go with the chipper. Once it gets to about five inches I switch to the hand auger until it gets to about 8 to 10 inches. Then bring on the power.

This is what I suggest also.

I use a 5" Lazer hand auger until about 8", and then switch to 8" Gas Power! I like to travel light until I can pull a sled behind an ATV.

I remember someone saying about how ice divers didn't hear much for noise from a power or hand auger, but they could almost feel every thunk from a spud bar. Something to think about.

And you guys running the Nils, you should really try the hand auger handle for Old School sake. I promise you, that same grin that appeared on your face after using the powerhead, well, it will appear again when you use the hand auger. smile

I will use a hand auger only until about 4 inches. At 5 inches I break out the power. So pretty much I only use my hand the first two times out in the season because I like to be as light as possible just in case. I am a wussy...but I figure I paid good money...I might as well use it.

The chisel is going to make more noise in the long run and you can punch holes alot faster with the auger so bring it along with the chisel to check ice!

I brought the chisel for the first trip out. I was walking with just the rod bag, chisel, and vexilar though so I wanted light weight. If you get water seeping up with two whacks of the chisel, you better turn around.

On first ice I all way have the spud in hand testing the ice as I walk out. then use it to open my holes untill the ice is 6".

I feel kinda silly using a power auger on 2"or3" of ice.

when the ice is thin I dont like to bring to much out with me a couple poles floating boat cushion rope and the chipper.

Jimalm I see your point abought pounding on the ice I may have to get a hand auger. RR

Nils! Much faster, easier, and quieter then the chisel.

I always carry the chisel out on new ice in any unfished areas to check the ice ahead of me though!

Cliff