• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what would be easier to make holes?

wasssit

If it's only a few inches I go with the chipper. Once it gets to about five inches I switch to the hand auger until it gets to about 8 to 10 inches. Then bring on the power.

This is what I suggest also.

I remember someone saying about how ice divers didn't hear much for noise from a power or hand auger, but they could almost feel every thunk from a spud bar. Something to think about.

And you guys running the Nils, you should really try the hand auger handle for Old School sake. I promise you, that same grin that appeared on your face after using the powerhead, well, it will appear again when you use the hand auger. smile

I will use a hand auger only until about 4 inches. At 5 inches I break out the power. So pretty much I only use my hand the first two times out in the season because I like to be as light as possible just in case. I am a wussy...but I figure I paid good money...I might as well use it.

On first ice I all way have the spud in hand testing the ice as I walk out. then use it to open my holes untill the ice is 6".

I feel kinda silly using a power auger on 2"or3" of ice.

when the ice is thin I dont like to bring to much out with me a couple poles floating boat cushion rope and the chipper.

Jimalm I see your point abought pounding on the ice I may have to get a hand auger. RR