• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New home made gear

I have a brother who takes care of our decoys and even my gun in the offseason wink I chase fish and ride sleds (not this year tho, dangit!) when the white stuff is around.

My gun is going to look awesome! Different than my bros, but I like it so far. Now just finishing touches with the brush is left. And probably some work on the above mentioned boat wink

Got these started today. Filled the outer 3/8" or better of the hood so I can carve them down/alter them..I did a hen that should be able to added to a little for a full down drake..We'll see next year how that goes...

Well here they are let me know whatcha think.

IMG_3058.jpg

Thanks Mutha. I'm working at it. I wish I had more guns because I still don't feel like of gotten it "right" yet. wink

Based on your dekes I'm guessing you have better artistic skills that could really make it turn out right.

Its almost emabarrassing how basic the paint is - 3 or four colors of Camo Rust-O-Leum: Green, Tan, Brown, and Black (all flat of course). I then use the small pint size cans of oil based paints to add in the detail. I think a guy skilled with an airbrush and good brushes could really do a great job. Regardless I made an old gun look new for a heckuvalot less than the $200 they get for dipping them. I also like using stuff I tinkered with myself. I'll try to post more specific instructions this weekend if anyone else is interested.

Theres a LOT to be said for brush work..I wouldnt sell your short I think its probably the best Ive seen yet.. A air brush while quick for blending does not offer the sharp edges unless you use stencil..

Now I just saw paasche single action kits on sale in hagens tackle for $50..If your running rustoleum push it with 60+psi.. Have you asked the people at the local hardware to sell ya some tinting/color mix? The Ace here in town lets me have at it for free. Ive used a LOT of thier house paint on my earlier decoys so either they like me or got tired of me buying a qt of this and a qt of that...

All that said you can mix a variety of shade and colors in small batches ...3 of any color /shade is the base of 3D.

HB gonna have to get you painting decoys.. You've got talent..

Here is a link to a video of a spreader I made. Please ignore the stoopid narrative - it was meant for my bro. That being said, I think these could make picking up and putting out dekes much easier.

Mutha suggested that I put up some pix of some home made lures but I don't want to hijack a hunting thread. Maybe I will...

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/hugobox/?action=view&current=b85b356f.mp4

Well I finally got time to go over to the shed and take a few pics of the test decoys..The picture has been rotated so if the dgreen droppers look off thats why

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

They did pretty well considering I toss them around on the shore and in the boat...

I might have to have a garrage sale this spring.Might be time to sell a couple boats and decoys.

Well Tyler if all goes as planned Ill be in ND a couple trips and we can give the new ones a propper field testing..

Putting the burlap on 60 floater and 20 field mallards in the next couple weeks.

Then its diver time....

Hooking up with a couple layout gunners building spreads for em..

Its finally going to happen after 46 years of taxidermy Im going to hang up the scalpel...Going to concentrait on just decoys.The school gig provides enough taxidermy related work to keep me tuned if I ever decide to go back into it.....

Besides this late in life ya dont want to get TO busy,,, it gets in the way of hunting..

Ill have to pass Tyler.

Actually returned a bit of work already and may return more.

Possibly heading to Idaho to help Don Mintz paint for a couple months this summer all depends on if I can hire someone to help with burlapping to get ahead. Thats ""If"" I can find the right person ..

Dons been my mentor and freind so its one of my bucket list things to work with the MASTER of foam decoys..

Hey wally, more time to bear hunt then, good. hard to get ya pinnned down to fish, no biggie, the invitation is always there bud. Tyler I currently have my 31 in eyeball in minot ND, thi s guy chares 10 bucks an inch an is fanominal, hes done some state record fish, an has won competions, he dose great work. Soon as I get my eyeball back I'll post it on the forum. later baor

Probably not bear hunt'n this fall,just to many bases to touch with decoys and gunning. Also getting a few requests for sea ducks and pintails so Ive got to get those heads carved and the molds done in my off time..

Fish are the simplest to do atleast for me, I'd rather do birds tho ..

$10 the average rate for a side mount..Tyler being in ND there ya go..

$10 an inch isn't bad at all. Guys around here want upwards of $15. Not saying the work isn't worth it, but $200 for a 14-inch crappie seems steep. Pretty sure I got my 21-inch walleye (no 31-incher but hey, give me a break, I was 13 years old) done for $150 from a guy in Fergus Falls, but that was 15 years ago.

Too bad your guy is in Minot. That's a long way for me to go.

I was going to drop it off at Sportsmans Taxidermy in EGF over the weekend, but Benson wasn't at the Delta meeting like normal Friday night and I had to bug out early the next morning.

Oh well...

Its easy to ship, i ship my eyeball speedee del. over night no prob. With a crappie id just wrap it in News paper really good the pastic bag, duck tape it an put on a shipping lable , Igaruntee it be frozen when it get there, Thing is if it thaws a little its no biggie either, the skin is is all painted anyway. He's tolfd me stories of how some ship fish to him, I found out ya deffinately dont have to keep them 100 % frozen. Let me know if youd ever consider. Later baor

I just finished up burlap'n 4dz mallard floaters and now to start on the 3dz full body mallards woodies and Geye's

I have a couple people I want to introduce into waterfowling this next fall so I bought a couple FA Subs this winter and now looking into changing them into more of a "folding" blind like the P landers I have.

Think'n if I add/alter the main frames and add the slider locks it would make packing them easier..

Anyone got a SUB and do you break down the main frame?