• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New home made gear

they look great mutha but my only concern would be does that metalic paint have shaine or glare that may flair the birds just my 02 cents

But WOW I'm really jealous also. I gotta start a new hobby and was thinking of taxidermy until I seen these decoys

Do both, mount a standing bird then you have reference to carve by. We could work on getting you started on both hobbies.

The lights in my shop tend to make anything glow,once I get a Dk Purple tint to part of ti Ill probably shoot it with a little gloss killer.

Thanks for the kind words...

Ya know Elwood We are going to have to think about a dual purpose weekend. Decoys by day Cats at night??

Ya know Elwood We are going to have to think about a dual purpose weekend. Decoys by day Cats at night??

anytime mutha anytime I would love to have you down cattin. we need to talk I would really like to get in to taxidermy just cant myself to puill the trigger yet. you just got me one step closer thou

Finally got some time to work on more of the conversions I did.. Finished off the the rest of my Blackies...

For some reason the lights are making the green look GLOW...Hummmm

IMG_0109_2.jpg

IMG_0111_2.jpg

Looking forward to finishing off the rest of the conversions SOON...

Want to try some of the ADVANCED techniques I've been learning from the Don Mintz advanced foamer DVD I got for my Bday...

Lots to learn...Tried a bigger round brush for dropping in pattern ect.. Covers ground better than the pinstripe I was using...

Coming to the end of my 72 conversion block's, mini honkers are the last then dock sleepers..I have a long way to go.

After posting the pic I realized I had to add the red to the chest.

IMG_0117-1.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Thanks Elwood

Playing with the brushes today,I may have created a new species.

A Padmallerigeon hen.

Thinking about a few in the spread.Seening how the "Pekin and Mascovy" decoys worked out west on local ducks early season it probably wouldn't matter.

Used to have Mascovey and Pekin mock ups for hunting on farm ponds.

That got me thinking that why not test a generic "Hen Hybrid" mixed into my mallards and black ducks this fall.

So I created the "Black Padmallerigeon"..

I see so many mallard cross's up here I dont think It will matter one bit.. Might even give me a edge?? Never know till ya try..

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Well here is part of the new dock flock.

They are foam filled to prevent flexing.

Looking forward to setting these on the dock..

Ive almost reflocked ALL of my decoys except the mallards,have to use them one season before I flock them it was just to much work to just cover up and start over..

BlackDuckFlockedrehabs007.jpg

Ill post up more pics of the bills,mergie,ringers,buffs and Blackies as I get the detail painted onto them. Its been a couple benjamines and a month of solid flocking..

WD 31 informed me on how to make the flocking very durable.. I can rub these together with NO loss so thats not a issue anylonger....

Well let me know whatcha think of em...

Well heres my first shot at painting flocking. They are double flocked tough as nails.

I did have a stroke of luck a old family friend has offered to show me how to carve heads so eventually I will have better. But till then these will have to do...

Highhead.jpg

Readytogo.jpg

Again lots to learn...

Well before I attempt to paint my tiny honkers,figured to start on something else so this is what they looked like last fall.

The full bods behind my GIANT lab...

IMG_0968.jpg

2 painted and 2 waiting..Just flocking makes a flatter decoys. Well going to get them all done then think about adding highlites. Painting on dark is kind rough, LOTS to learn......

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Not sure what way to go for highlite colors. Considering they worked last year they should do a little better this fall. With the flocked sleepers on the end of the dock Ol'e Bitsy may get a limit yet off the dock yet,,..

Mutha-

Phenomenal work!

Wish I would have been paying attention when you offered to host a carving weekend. Anything ever happen with that? I've been tempted to ask you for help, but didn't want to intrude - now I see you were offering it up to one and all!

I really need some "mentoring" in the carving / painting area!

You wouldn't happen to be going to the Iron Range Retriever Club Duck Hunter's Trial this weekend wouldja? Would be great to meet ya.

NR

Muthagoose,

Would you ever do a loon just for the...

Bleep of it?

You've gone a bit beyond, "hunter".

I'd pay to see a showing of your, "art".

I think the bunny-huggers would pay for you to give them a bird.

If not "THEE" bird.

If it was half as good as your decoys.

I have a couple request for loons and a cormorant,gonna try and finish them by Christmas.This whole deal started for 2 reasons. 1 the wife got squawking about the cost of decoys after I sold out off my guiding gear I wanted to up grade but didn't want plastics.2 everything was cookie cutter..

Now its a never ending learning curve just as taxidermy has been. Id say those interested we could meet up and may be do a hunt or just make some foam fly.

So how do we do that?

I have a couple request for loons and a cormorant,gonna try and finish them by Christmas.This whole deal started for 2 reasons. 1 the wife got squawking about the cost of decoys after I sold out off my guiding gear I wanted to up grade but didn't want plastics.2 everything was cookie cutter..

Now its a never ending learning curve just as taxidermy has been.

Id say those interested we could meet up and may be do a hunt or just make some foam fly.

So how do we do that?

I would try to get together before season if that's what others wanted, but I've got a full plate for sure, so after ice-up would be best for me. That said, I live in Northome and use a camp over by Cook frequently in the fall, so I'm not that far away.

Thanks for your willingness to help!!

NR

NR Same here plate is full. Gotta get some decoys out the door in the next day or so then head to bear camp.Once weather cools its back to doing clients bird and fish mounts.

Only have one course to teach this fall so I have time during the season.

So if there was a place and time a few of us could get set Id be willing to help anyone.Which is why a hunting /decoy carving weekend would be best.

Anyone want to host something like that?

I need the practice working with people before teaching the course next fall at school. Yep I get to teach decoy Carving and Flytying at VCC. Its a good life....