Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN Mike

Any reason not to ?

8 posts in this topic

Just getting ready to put the boat in storage for winter, it has a 70 + gallon gas tank and it's pretty low BUT gas prices are dropping fast. I'm thinking of filling it now before I put it away, any reason not to? Can't imagine gas can get too much cheaper...... can it?

By the time it comes out next year, we'll be nearing Memorial Day, summer travel season blah, blah, blah...... many reasons for gas to take a jump. 70 gal. will get me thru 2/3rds of the open water season, maybe more.

Just curious.

Mike

I was told that you're better off leaving the tank full and don't forget the Sta-Bil.

Depending on your storage conditions, a full tank is less likely to have issues with condensation and so it is usually to one's advantage to fill the tanks. The suggestion to use a fuel stabilizer is a good one.

Bob

This year the mechanic told me not to fill it up. Condensation isn't a problem in Minnesota in winter and that way it gets a good shot of fresh gas in the spring. Sounds plausible, but so did the "fill it up" which I always did before. Fortunately, up north it is possible to buy "off road" gas without ethanol.

Spend $6 for the new marine formula Stabil, add it to the tank and fill it up. Your gas will be good to go for a year (at least).

Use a the correct amount of a good quality fuel stabilizer and fill it up and you will be just fine.

Thanks guys, I put a good dose of sea foam in before the last outing this late summer, I'll just add some more if I fill it.

Mike

Yep, I see no reason not to fill it up. Make sure you use the correct amount of Stabil.

marine_man