• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

atv muffler

Will

Question

i need to replace the muffler on my 01 grizzly. $250 - $300 is crazy. anybody know if i can replace it with a general generic muffler that will fit? the way i understand it, being a 4 stroke, the compression that the muffler creates is not as important. can anyone confirm this or give me any advice?

thanks

1 answer to this question

Back-pressure is not as critical on a 4 stroke but still important. The proper amount of back-pressure has a big effect on torque. Also on a four wheeler as with motorcycles, it can adversely affect the air/fuel mixture. A open exhaust will cause a "lean" condition which can damage your motor. Pretty much every thing is tuned to run lean from the factory for emissions purposes. So the trade off for a "generic" muffler rather than the factory replacement may mean that you will need to have the carb tuned to run at the appropriate air/fuel mixture. We have seen burned valves and holes in pistons from people cutting the mufflers off their bikes and adding a straight pipe to make them sound better without taking the time to re-tune the carb. Taking a carb off, and rejetting it to work properly with the new exhaust can run upwards of $300 depending on the machine. Hope this helps.