• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hawks of the Bog!

jonny_redhorse

Apparently the hawks are having a "field day" down in the Sax-Zim Bog! grin... I've seen this couple of hawks(rough leggeds) for 3 weekends now(actually was down in the bog looking for those owls)....I think I'll call em "Ole" and "Lena"! grin...This hawk just sits there and lets you drive right up to it and get as many pics as you want....amazing!....I squeeked on the mouse squeeker a few times and watched his head spining like crazy trying to "pinpoint" the sound...He had me figured out! grin...then I blew on a fox call(wounded rabbit thing)...this really got "Ole" going!.... grin...just fun to watch these hawks !....The hawk images digiscoped...

from this frosty morning( 7 above)....early sunrise on the way to typicle hawk/owl country....

P1060055-3copy.jpg

P1060050-2copy.jpg

DSCN3872-1copy.jpg

DSCN3876-2copy.jpg

DSCN3874-4.JPG

Here's "Ole" after a "divebomb" onto a suspecting mouse along the highway's shoulder....He didn't seem to care one way or another that my truck was parked 50' away!

DSCN3901-2copy.jpg

Thanks all!....Never really sure what one will find in the "big svamp"....lol!......must be my Finnish heritage! grin....Jim,I have 5 days off starting Wednesday....Thanksgiving day probably wouldn't be the best day to run around being turkey day and all ....friday saturday or Sunday would be ok for me....Here'smy E-mail for some more [email protected]...(John Sikkila)that way we can discuss how ,when ,where, etc.....I also have picked up some ribs etc.(quite abit actually) from some work acquaintences...I have been doing some road searching and have a couple spots that may work quite well....not entirely sure whoever was also going to join us...either way,we'll get those "treats" out grin

I like the second picture. He is really giving you they "eye."

I spent quite a while yesterday watching "Ole" and 'Lina" hunting together. I have never seen two hawks hunt together before like they do. Flying parallel and in unison with each other as they hunt the shoulders and fields. Its pretty neat.

I took the bog loop yesterday and other then the hawks, it was pretty dead. I did see a run away herd of goats though. There had to have been at least 20 of them in a field with no fences. Not sure where they came from. As if a pack of psychotic dogs and a car chasing pig weren't bad enough now we may have a rogue pack of goats to watch out for....lol

I haven't got any deer rib cages yet. I know Ansley Rd will have some for me to scavenge if I am desperate. I already saw a couple on the shoulder of the road. Now that its cold I remember why I but those ones last year right on the side of the road. Car makes a nice blind when its 30 below.

I'm off from Wednesday to Sunday as well so if there is a get together I might be able to make this one.

Jonny and Jay

Friday or Sunday would work best for me. It looks like Lisa and I will have our turkey day on Thursday but we will have our big feast on Saturday. I will only have 3 ribs.If one of those days works for all I will email Jonny for the complete details.

I just noticed this after I posted but it will be Jonny,Jay and Jim

Sounds good Jay and Jim!....I think I might have close to 75 pounds + of the "goodies" for the "bog critters"!(plus 50# of black oil)...Jay,As you have been more the caretaker of the S.Admiral road area, I was thinking of concentrating off the Arkola road /Owl Avenue area....I had the one spot at the sectionline cross roads on Owl just recently excavated and cleared this past summer...last year I put a few treats there along with the "black oil" and had continuous birds /critters chomping all winter...it's a good spot!...just "how" to best place the treats we'll just wait and see when we get there I guess........Maybe Friday does sound like the best day!...I'm for it!.....

I'd have some interest too, but may have to pass this time around. Considering I have almost 300 miles to drive, I need to come up the day before, with the day before Friday being Turkey Day at the in-laws. Hopefully, you guys will do another one this year, so I can join in. It sure was a blast last year. If it works out, I could maybe even drag mmeyer along.

Sounds like a great plan Jonny. You pick a time and I will be there. If there is anyone else interested in meeting up from Duluth or anywhere south we can ride share. I will be leaving from Carlton going up Highway 33 to 53.

X-tackleman You need to make the drive after we have them hung so you can see all the good little critters grin

Excellent material Jonny, thanks for sharing. Earlier this year I was out crusing the back roads looking for anything of interest to shoot with the Canon. Out of nowhere a ruff legged came swooping down out a tree and nailed something along the side of the road. I fired off a few pic's and later when I downloaded them, the victom turned out to be a small lepoard frog. Like all raptor's, an easy meal is an easy meal!

I pulled an "Oops" Jim! grin....Here I thought you were in Deer River all this time and find out you're in Carlton...Guess it was from your avatar grin....that kinda changes things as far as the meeting place goes....A good meeting place would be Wilberts Cafe in Cotton near the intersection of Arkola Road and Hwy 53....would be a great place for "all" of us to meet....I remember the "Rocket"(in Meadowlands) from last year and no offense but didn't really impress me that much (we won't go there another time another day grin)....How does that sound for everyone?....would be nice for a quick bite to eat or a cup of coffee and figure out which roads to start out on for the day plus meet everyone once again....put a "plan" together.....would 7:30-8:00 Friday morning be ok for everyone?....