• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best portable for me, wife and kids

pauly

I'm looking to buy a portable this year but with so many options I'm looking for some input. I want space for me, the wife and at times a couple of small children. I won't be dragging it long distances but would like it to be fairly quick to set up. Also need it to fit into the back of the Expedition. Any advice?

2 options you have are Sled type or suitcase style. Sled types are nice to pull out to a location and typically have seats built in. Suit case style are cheaper, can be larger, not designed to be pulled across the lake, and do not have built in seats. Someone in the forsale section posted up a large sled type house last night that looks nice.

Note - Double wide canvas craft one sold over night. That sold fast.

I have the Clam 5600 and that would be two small for more than two people. Remember you need to make room for a heater. With a large suit case style (like the 6800) you could pack a couple little camp chairs and a camp table for the kid to play at when they need a warm up or are getting bored. The larger flip overs have no floor so everyone would be squished together like a Easter Sunday Church Service.

I have an Otter Magnum Lodge and I really like it...but there are a few problems regarding kids and cars. While the Lodge is theoretically large enough for three (using the bench seat), it gets really crowded. I think the sled type of shelter is not that effective when kids are involved...there's not much room for standing or moving around...you would have to keep the kids on the bench for any fishing and to prevent stuff getting kicked down the holes.

Secondly, the magnum sled is a bit too long for my SUV. I have to take the back seats out and push the drivers seat all the way forward. With a trailer or pickup this would not be a problem...but if you have an enclosed vehicle you better check whether or not a sled type will fit.

I am considering one of the pop-up or hub type of shelters for the above cited reasons: particularly the ability to stand up and walk around abit inside the shelter.

The "fish house" has become a place for the cocktail hour when we have guests...kind of a unique, but crowded, sundown activity...down the hill and out to the house. I think the hub type might be lot more accommodating for both socializing adults and inevitably restless kids.

If your would like the option of havng plenty of room for you and the kids - check out the 6 man Clam Command Post or Eskimo Quickfish 6. Won't find a bigger portable at ~6x12ft, only ~40lbs, and very cheep for the size ~$350. Best thing is it folds down to ~56x16x11".

Drawbacks are not as mobile as flipovers, don't have a floor like cabin style, and can be difficult to setup in wind.

Check them out - Gander Mountain has them open and on display.

I would recommend that you wait for the ice fishing show at the St. Paul Convention Center Dec. 5-7. It's a very interesting and informative event. There you will have the opportunity to see every commercial product set up, plus can question the representatives. Check out:

agievents.com/shows/display.cfm?showID=56

You might also want to check out [YouNeedAuthorization].com, click on "sporting" under the "for sale" column. You can speed up the process by using their search feature at the top of the page.

I have the double-wide Otter sled pullover modified by Canvas Craft in Anoka to have insulated fabric. Very nice, easily fits 6 people, but you might need a trailer to transport it.

Good hunting.

How old are your kids?, if you don't mind me asking. If they are old enough, you might want to get two portables, one for you and the misses, and one for the kids. Two adults and 2 kids under one roof is the equivalent of 6.25 adults.... wink If your kids are like most, they might get a kick out of the independence (and so might you). Plus when they tire of fishing, they have a sweet fort to go in and out and in and out and in and out of....

The Clam series are well designed, compact (for the most part), and relatively cheap. A Voyager and a Guide might do the trick, and you can link them together if need be.

This one is for sale on FM in the southern MN forum. The clam 1060 would be a huge one man house but if you were gonna get one for the family too, this would be great. It sets up to be 10 feet by 6 feet

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1585502/Clam_1060#Post1585502