• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Static Electricity

Scupper

I helped my nephew install a click and lock composite wood/plastic look floor in his basement. We used the prescribed under layment which is the very thin white foam type.

Floor looks real nice.

It seems that somehow my nephew and I are getting static shocks from walking back and fourth on the floor. Others that walk around on the floor do not experience the same. Everyone except myself wares tennis/sport shoes of various brands including my nephew. I ware Danner boots with a very soft rubber type bottom.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing it?

The potential for static electricity can be reduced by increasing the humidity in the home.

As you walk on the floor, you are litterally rubbing electrons from the floor material to your shoes. They can build up to some rather large charge potential (thousands of volts). When you come into contact with a conductive material the built-up static charge will attempt to discharge and you feel the shock. It's not much unlike a small lightning strike.

One way to combat this process is to increase the humidity level in your home. The moisture helps prevent electrons from building up on your body by improving conductivity. If you're interested in a more thorough explanation just do a web search for static electricity and you'll get lots of info.

Bob