Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

And So It Begins

37 posts in this topic

Sportsmen Dismayed by Overthrow of Congressman John Dingell

Anti-Hunting Representative Assumes Pivotal Committee Chairmanship

(Columbus, Ohio) – The United States Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA) expresses its dismay today over the news that U.S. Representative Henry Waxman (D- CA) toppled Representative John Dingell (D- MI) as Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. Rep. Dingell has been a tireless champion of sportsmen issues for decades, while Rep. Waxman has a long history of supporting the causes of extremist animal rights and anti-firearm groups. Given the recent call by President-elect Barack Obama for a broad and bipartisan approach to governing, this action raises serious doubts in the eyes of sportsmen.

“Rep. Dingell understood and cared about sportsmen and their devotion to conservation,” said USSA Vice President of Government Affairs, Rob Sexton. “On the other hand, Rep. Waxman, an environmental activist, has consistently earned a 100 percent rating from the leading anti-hunting group in the country, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), which has sought to use the Endangered Species Act to stop hunting.”

Among Rep. Waxman’s anti-hunting votes are:

* against allowing hunting, fishing, and trapping in the East Mojave Scenic Area;

* against the National Wildlife Refuge Improvement Act of 1996 that enshrined hunting, fishing, and trapping as a priority use of wildlife refuges;

* for banning the importation of polar bear trophies and resulting in a loss of conservation funding;

Beyond his strong support of anti-hunting legislation, Rep. Waxman has also been a consistent opponent of Second Amendment rights. According to Sexton, “He has voted for nearly all anti-firearm bills in Congress going back to the so-called ‘Assault Weapon Ban’ and the ‘Brady Bill.’ Both of those bills were punitive and designed to prohibit law abiding citizens from engaging in their constitutional rights.”

Sportsmen play a major role in the U.S. economy through their purchases of hunting, fishing, and trapping equipment. They also play the decisive role in maintaining ongoing conservation efforts through federal and state taxes on that equipment. “With the economy facing its greatest challenge in over a generation, now is not the time to embrace the radical agenda of groups like HSUS and choke off one of its most vibrant sectors. The USSA hopes that Rep. Waxman will show a greater appreciation for this fact as he assumes his new position than he has in the past,” concluded Sexton.

More? OK. This is straight from Obama's web site.

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

It took less then 30 days to go from "Obama won't take your guns" to you don't need "those" guns.

Trollin, trollin, trollin, get dem doggies rollin.

Cripes Gunflint, we already have a thread dealing with this, jump into that one.

Anytime you get 11 pages the topic starts going all over the road. Besides I generally stop reading after 3 or 4 pages. That's when the rhetoric usually begins.

Nice dog pic by the way.

Fair enough, thanks for the compliment.

Sorry man, you just seem to get things started lately, and then not contribute after the fact. Just an observation, nothing personal. If you're going to throw the first pitch out, at least take a couple swings during the game.

Boy, from the lanugage of that "report" sounds like it comes from a nice, non-partisan source. What was it?

No, it was not a non-partisan source. I never claimed it was. Why would a non-partisan group even come up with something like this. I'm not allowed by forum rules to name another site but suffice it to say it is a pro-second amendment site.

I think that there is some misconceptions as to why I post these items. I post in this section to inform like minded fellow sportsman of issues that they may not be aware of. I don't post down here to argue with my fellow sportsman on the left side of the fence. Liberals argue from the heart conservatives argue from the brain. Usually after a few pages the name calling (usually from the left) begins. I'm not wasting time trying to change people minds on issues that they feel strongly about. If anyone can show me one post where a liberal changed a conservatives mind or visa versa on an important issue I'd love to see it.

In other words I post down here to inform sportsman on issues. Not to argue points. I leave that to people who have the time and inclination.

If you post to inform. Then, why not post something informative? just curious.

The environmental subcommittee is still headed by a Texan, your hunting and fishing rights aren't going to be impacted whatsoever. One guy does not have that much power anyway. He more or less decides which bills the committee looks at, really doesn't compose anything anyway. Sure he could make the committee look at more gun control or whatever bills, but it doesn't make them any more likely to ever make it out of the committee, much less pass on the house floor...

More? OK. This is straight from Obama's web site.

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade.

some groups have not had much to fight lately since the country has other worries right now so they need to look for soemthing.

Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals.

This also sounds good to me,......

The exchange above pretty much sums up the issue of gun control in this country.

While "common sense measures" that respect rights of legal gun owners while keeping guns from criminals "sound good" to everyone, they simply do not exist.

By definition a criminal is not concerned about breaking laws, so gun laws have little effect on criminals possessing guns.

On the other hand, Responsible law abiding gun owners do obey laws, thus they are the ones affected by well intended but misguided gun legislation.

Quote:
By definition a criminal is not concerned about breaking laws, so gun laws have little effect on criminals possessing guns.

Outlaw guns and only the outlaws will have guns.

Or we will have more unenforceable laws. Better to concentrate on enforcing the laws we have on the books now before adding more.

obama supporters amaze me. i have never seen such blind loyalty to a man, however misguided. it was not the same with bush supporters. they at least fought him on issues they disagreed with, such as amnesty, dubai ports, medicare drug program, out of control spending, ect,ect. Obama's supporters cannot bring themselves to disagree with anything he does, even if its an issue they may disagree with him on. stunning to say the least.

this forum is a perfect example. a story broke that he may appoint anti hunters to the DOI. assuming that story is true, they cannot even say, "well, if he does that, then i will have to oppose him on that." i cannot wait when he tells them it's ok to be for the war in iraq. laugh

they know all gun control fails and it only punishes the law abiding but because obama supports it, they do too. laugh

The messiah TJ, the Messiah.

not just that. it's like they cannot bring themselves to disagree with him for fear that would mean they don't support him. strangest thing i have ever seen. they need to be told it's ok to disagree with him once in a while.

the democrats made an art form of disagreeing with GWB, on everything, and became upset and cried how their patriotism was being questioned if someone pointed out to them when they were going too far. when it went beyond simple disagreement to sheer hatred. so now a democrat gets in and the shoe switches. now we have people telling us we must support him blindly and that we have to wait two years before we can question anything he does. i am going to enjoy these four years. i truly am laugh

Quote:
obama supporters amaze me. i have never seen such blind loyalty to a man, however misguided. it was not the same with bush supporters. they at least fought him on issues they disagreed with, such as amnesty, dubai ports, medicare drug program, out of control spending, ect,ect. Obama's supporters cannot bring themselves to disagree with anything he does, even if its an issue they may disagree with him on. stunning to say the least.

Woooooooowwwwwwwww...tackle, if you would, please explain to me who these 20% or so of voters who still approve of Bush? Talk about blind loyalty. And please let me know who the Bush supporters are who "fought" him on uncontrolled spending?

And you, & many others, seem to complain vehemently that Obama nuts seems to have brought some "passion" back to politics.

Gee, can't have that, can we? Really supporting a candidate rather than voting against the other guy? Start that kind of behavior & soon we'll all be wearing turbans & bowing towards Mecca five times a day.

Interesting you would spew that inane nonsense and not address the questions/issues at hand.

So which of the points do you disagree with?

- Are you in favor of hindering police investigations?

- Are you in favor of leaving these loopholes open?

I’m not going to ask whether you favor common sense, as it would be rhetorical. wink

this forum is a perfect example. a story broke that he may appoint anti hunters to the DOI. assuming that story is true, they cannot even say, "well, if he does that, then i will have to oppose him on that." i cannot wait when he tells them it's ok to be for the war in iraq. laugh

they know all gun control fails and it only punishes the law abiding but because obama supports it, they do too. laugh

Currently I see 3 names in the news for the DOI position. 1 is supported by Ducks Unlimited, another not only signed into law but also applied for a permit for conceal and carry. The third voted in favor of the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. So 2 of the 3 candidates appear to be favorable for hunters, yet you will make the assumption this 1 in 3 guy will not only get the position, but will also manage to somehow restrict your rights.

Get real, nothing has really happened yet. If you want, right a letter to Mr. Obama and tell him to appoint someone who will benefit outdoorsmen.

Also the CTO office will let you vote on priorities for Obama's team (although this was pointed out to me by a Canadian, so I sense a flaw in the system).

I'm not going to involve myself in the name calling, but I would very much like the details of the proposed "Common sence measures."

We can all say common sence measures just like we can all say reduce taxes, end the war, everyone gets a job, fix the economy, car in every garage and a chicken in every oven.

How ya gonna do it tho?????

I want the details, otherwise it's just more double talk from a politician.

Quote:
We can all say common sence measures just like we can all say reduce taxes, end the war, everyone gets a job, fix the economy, car in every garage and a chicken in every oven.

Yep, talk is cheap and easy, results are another story altogether.

Quote:

All I know is he's doing better than the last guy, and he's not even in office yet.

Originally Posted By: upnorth
Quote:

All I know is he's doing better than the last guy, and he's not even in office yet.

And this is a perfect example of the blind loyalty tacklejunkie was referring to.

lol walleye101 displays the blind hatred. Is he not doing better than the last guy? If you say Obama hasn't done anything yet, then he's doing exactly what W. is doing. Seen W. in the last few weeks?

What happened to Obama's plan to stay out of media scene while Bush finishes his term? Obama said right after the election he would stay away and quiet while GW finishes his term. Yet Obama seems to be having massive weekly nationally televised press conferences hey break into regular programing for.

Is this what we can expect of Pres Obama? More of the usual political [PoorWordUsage] of say one thing then act just the opposite.